1993 Trek singletrack 930 - DONE

MC31 were guinmetal and MC30 were silver with a gunmetal-ish outer ring, I think. The OP seems to want silver components and to run 8 speed though.

MC31 were guinmetal and MC30 were silver with a gunmetal-ish outer ring, I think. The OP seems to want silver components and to run 8 speed though.

This is correct. Sorry to be a pain.

would these brake Levers work with cantis?
I see so many brakes advertised a ‘v brake levers’ but I thought they were all compatible. Is that not the case?

This is correct. Sorry to be a pain.

would these brake Levers work with cantis?
I see so many brakes advertised a ‘v brake levers’ but I thought they were all compatible. Is that not the case?

V-brake and cantilever levers have different cable pull, so although some people use them together, it's generally accepted the brakes won't perform well with the wrong type of levers.

There are some all silver levers available, if you want the clamps to be silver as well as the blades. For example:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You don't say if you want period correct, and anyway STX RC is at least 3 years younger than 1993 (your bike I think is around 1996 anyway, but I`m not sure without checking the catalogues).

If you are doing a budget restoration, I would keep the brake levers. Otherwise, road flat levers like Claris or Sora come in silver and accept v-brake or cantilever for potential upgrades down the line. For shifters, most I know are black triggers. You can get Sunrace 3x8 thumbies, not completely silver but definitely with a retro look. For cranksets, in silver you definitely have to go retro as nowadays everything is black. Be careful with STX as some have a funky bolt pattern where the middle ring actually screws into the small ring and not directly into the crankset, meaning it is actually impossible to find replacements. The "cyclocross" cranksets from Sora or Claris come in a matte silver and 46t-30t if you don't mind a 2x

You don't say if you want period correct, and anyway STX RC is at least 3 years younger than 1993 (your bike I think is around 1996 anyway, but I`m not sure without checking the catalogues).

If you are doing a budget restoration, I would keep the brake levers. Otherwise, road flat levers like Claris or Sora come in silver and accept v-brake or cantilever for potential upgrades down the line. For shifters, most I know are black triggers. You can get Sunrace 3x8 thumbies, not completely silver but definitely with a retro look. For cranksets, in silver you definitely have to go retro as nowadays everything is black. Be careful with STX as some have a funky bolt pattern where the middle ring actually screws into the small ring and not directly into the crankset, meaning it is actually impossible to find replacements. The "cyclocross" cranksets from Sora or Claris come in a matte silver and 46t-30t if you don't mind a 2x
Thank you for the response! This is really useful. To answer your first point, i'm not at all bothered about it being period correct. I'm more concerned with price as this is bike no.5 and the wife is... not impressed. I get from reading though that things being period correct are a bog part of this forum, so apologies for the reckless abandon being levelled at this bike.

The current brake levers are pitted, and pretty much shot to pieces. They look awful, and have a terrible handfeel. The brakes themselves are fine, and have polished up nicely, but the levers definitely need to go. I actually saved a pair of Sora R3000 levers on eBay, but they had black levers and a silver body, but the Ultegra BLR780's looked perfect.

Would something like the Sturmey Archer S80 work? Someone also linked the Tektro FL540 earlier in the thread, which look perfect, but i can't find these anywhere in the UK.

As for cranksets i liked the look of the STX RC FC-MC40. Do they have the weird bolt issue?

Lastly, i've pretty much accepted that the triggers/shifters will be black. The cassette and derailleurs have come up lovely, and as i'm happy to go modern, what's the most bang for the buck on a set of 3x8 shifters? I'm basically looking for the 105 of the mountain bike world.

Thanks,
Phil

Well, after almost two years, and another child, i finally got around to actually restoring this thing.

After blasting, it was hung in the garage, and then later stuck o a shelf, and then covered up.

A couple of weeks ago, i decided to pull my finger out of my arse, and dug the frame out and painted it. In my head, i had a thousand different ideas, but couldn't settle on any of them, so simply re-painted it in the metallic green it came in, and then did then painted the decals in gold. I'd like to say it's in homage to the original paint scheme, but in all honesty i was tired of indecision and just wanted to get it done.

The only original parts left are the wheels, which are heavy and anything but tru, the stem and the handlebars. Every other component has been replaced, and it's all come from AliExpress. With the exception of he Nukeproof pedals, it's all been sourced from the far east. Every other bit on this bike looked like it had been through a rock tumbler, and whilst i did dismantle and rebuild all of it, it still looked like hot garbage, even if it did work. It was an aesthetic decision to replace.

Anyway, here she is now:

IMG_7119.jpg

I found a lovely woman on Etsy who used her cricut machine to sort my decals which i knocked up in illustrator. She printed them on to oramask, and did the weeding, and sent them over.

After priming, the gold was laid down, then the oramask decals laid over the top, followed by the British racing green, then 2k clear.

I used decals for the headtube and the forks, and then for the main TREK decal, the SINGLETRACK decal on the top tube, the 930 on the seat tube, and the US flag on the down tube.

The shifters, rear mech and cassette are all CUES U4000, and the crankset is U6000, with an MT801 BB.

Brakes and levers are Deore, and then some cheap grips.

She can also be seen wearing MAXXIS DTH.

Some more pics...

IMG_7120.jpg IMG_7122.jpg IMG_7123.jpg IMG_7124.jpg IMG_7121.jpg IMG_7125.jpg IMG_7126.jpg

She weighs slightly less than the Titanic, but is a dream to ride. Very soft and comfortable, and the gearing allows me to pedal very slowly alongside my 4yr old when we go out on bike rides. That in itself is worth more than anything to me.

I would highly recommend the CUES stuff, and all the '7 day guarantee' stuff from AliExpress came within 7 days, and was all delivered by Evri on behalf of Cia Niao. Some stuff came in the box, but most of it came in plastic bags.

This the only the second bike i've built up, and the first time i've done a MTB. I need to shorten the rear brake cable housing, and i've forgotten to add the little rubbet boots to the brake lines, but overall i'm pretty chuffed with my achievements.

Back