1993 Trek singletrack 930 - Upgrade advice required

MC31 were guinmetal and MC30 were silver with a gunmetal-ish outer ring, I think. The OP seems to want silver components and to run 8 speed though.

MC31 were guinmetal and MC30 were silver with a gunmetal-ish outer ring, I think. The OP seems to want silver components and to run 8 speed though.

This is correct. Sorry to be a pain.

would these brake Levers work with cantis?
I see so many brakes advertised a ‘v brake levers’ but I thought they were all compatible. Is that not the case?

This is correct. Sorry to be a pain.

would these brake Levers work with cantis?
I see so many brakes advertised a ‘v brake levers’ but I thought they were all compatible. Is that not the case?

V-brake and cantilever levers have different cable pull, so although some people use them together, it's generally accepted the brakes won't perform well with the wrong type of levers.

There are some all silver levers available, if you want the clamps to be silver as well as the blades. For example:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You don't say if you want period correct, and anyway STX RC is at least 3 years younger than 1993 (your bike I think is around 1996 anyway, but I`m not sure without checking the catalogues).

If you are doing a budget restoration, I would keep the brake levers. Otherwise, road flat levers like Claris or Sora come in silver and accept v-brake or cantilever for potential upgrades down the line. For shifters, most I know are black triggers. You can get Sunrace 3x8 thumbies, not completely silver but definitely with a retro look. For cranksets, in silver you definitely have to go retro as nowadays everything is black. Be careful with STX as some have a funky bolt pattern where the middle ring actually screws into the small ring and not directly into the crankset, meaning it is actually impossible to find replacements. The "cyclocross" cranksets from Sora or Claris come in a matte silver and 46t-30t if you don't mind a 2x

You don't say if you want period correct, and anyway STX RC is at least 3 years younger than 1993 (your bike I think is around 1996 anyway, but I`m not sure without checking the catalogues).

If you are doing a budget restoration, I would keep the brake levers. Otherwise, road flat levers like Claris or Sora come in silver and accept v-brake or cantilever for potential upgrades down the line. For shifters, most I know are black triggers. You can get Sunrace 3x8 thumbies, not completely silver but definitely with a retro look. For cranksets, in silver you definitely have to go retro as nowadays everything is black. Be careful with STX as some have a funky bolt pattern where the middle ring actually screws into the small ring and not directly into the crankset, meaning it is actually impossible to find replacements. The "cyclocross" cranksets from Sora or Claris come in a matte silver and 46t-30t if you don't mind a 2x
Thank you for the response! This is really useful. To answer your first point, i'm not at all bothered about it being period correct. I'm more concerned with price as this is bike no.5 and the wife is... not impressed. I get from reading though that things being period correct are a bog part of this forum, so apologies for the reckless abandon being levelled at this bike.

The current brake levers are pitted, and pretty much shot to pieces. They look awful, and have a terrible handfeel. The brakes themselves are fine, and have polished up nicely, but the levers definitely need to go. I actually saved a pair of Sora R3000 levers on eBay, but they had black levers and a silver body, but the Ultegra BLR780's looked perfect.

Would something like the Sturmey Archer S80 work? Someone also linked the Tektro FL540 earlier in the thread, which look perfect, but i can't find these anywhere in the UK.

As for cranksets i liked the look of the STX RC FC-MC40. Do they have the weird bolt issue?

Lastly, i've pretty much accepted that the triggers/shifters will be black. The cassette and derailleurs have come up lovely, and as i'm happy to go modern, what's the most bang for the buck on a set of 3x8 shifters? I'm basically looking for the 105 of the mountain bike world.

Thanks,
Phil

Back