1993 Trek singletrack 930 - Upgrade advice required

TheD245

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

i was fortunate enough to pick up a Trek singletrack 930 for the princely sum of £30. I’ve dismantled it in its entirety and there are a few things I want to replace.

The bike itself is 3x8, and the cassette and derailleurs are in good working order, and I don’t want to replace them.

I don’t like gripshifters, though, so I want to replace them with trigger shifters, and i’m not respraying the bike (yet) so I want to go with green, silver and brown.

I’m thinking a C17 saddle, brooks leather grips, and then a nice pair of steel levers and a new triple crankset.

my Knowledge is more road-centric, so I need recommendations for the following, please:
silver triple crankset
silver brake levers
3x8 trigger shifters

This is, for the most part, a budget build, so I don’t want to spend a ton of money. If it’s cheaper to go 1x, then I’m happy to do it, but regardless Of which option I chose, I’m reliant upon the forum’s collective knowledge.

thanks,
Phil

Attachments

• E6236CF4-E2B6-47A3-8AF3-5CA07FD87B7E.png
    E6236CF4-E2B6-47A3-8AF3-5CA07FD87B7E.png
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 53
  • B3466E60-4487-4701-8AB7-0BBE446B50F8.png
    B3466E60-4487-4701-8AB7-0BBE446B50F8.png
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • CD830485-56BD-4F46-B60B-C6D685A16FD3.png
    CD830485-56BD-4F46-B60B-C6D685A16FD3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 8EC5F4C6-5EFD-4963-843E-3F04D8D47062.jpeg
    8EC5F4C6-5EFD-4963-843E-3F04D8D47062.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 59
I also want to add some Maxxis DTH tan wall tyres, but they‘re expensive AF these days, so I think I’m going to go for the Billy bonkers 2

You could replace those chainrings with silver, but replacing the crankset is probably a better (and cheaper) choice. STX would be nice to match the mechs. In 1993 the DX and XT chainsets were both silver, or Silver LX or XT from 1994 would also work well, though if they had their original rings you'd need to replace the outer ring with a silver one.

1993, LX shifters had silver brake levers but they are 7 speed, so 1994 XT might be the best bet, or LX/XT from 1995. Have a look in the archive for options you like and then either search in the For Sale section or put up a wanted ad:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You could replace those chainrings with silver, but replacing the crankset is probably a better (and cheaper) choice. STX would be nice to match the mechs. In 1993 the DX and XT chainsets were both silver, or Silver LX or XT from 1994 would also work well, though if they had their original rings you'd need to replace the outer ring with a silver one.
I've just realised that the crankset i have is pressed together, as opposed to bolted, so definitely not possible to replace the chainrings.

I do like the look of the STX RC chainset, though. What's a reasonable price to pay for that?

I've just realised that the crankset i have is pressed together, as opposed to bolted, so definitely not possible to replace the chainrings.

I do like the look of the STX RC chainset, though. What's a reasonable price to pay for that?

I didn't spot that. Definitely time to upgrade then.

I'd expect it to cost you about £20-£25 posted, maybe a little more if you want a pristine one. This one sold last month on ebay:

Yes those are my cranks which are on eBay and I’ve also likely got shifters and levers to suit. Happy to sell via here at a bundle price if needed.

Latest posts

Back