1993 Marin Eldridge Grade

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I bought my 93 EG recently and am trying to renovate it. Everything on it apart from chainset is original, but my (current) main problem is the seatpost (or lack of it). When I bought the bike it had a too small steel seatpost in it, wedged in very ingeniously with the handle of a spoon. While this worked fine it didn't exactly add much to the looks of the bike, and I didn't want to get the business end of the spoon up my backside in an accident - try explaining that to the nurse! I'm now trying to get the right seatpost but cannot measure the diameter of the post accurately enough to decide if it's a 27.0 or a 27.2, or some other figure. Does anyone know please, and also if it's possible to get a Marin post in the right size anywhere?

Size varies year to year Gerry (my 1990 is 29.4mm bizarrely),and there can be some model year crossover with Marins. Take it to your LBS or borrow some calipers off someone, you do need to get the right size - even .02mm too big or too small won't work.

And let's see some pix please!

Here are the pics. As you can see it's mostly all original except the chainset & rear mechanism (I have just bought a Deore Dx mechanism off ebay and am looking for a DX chainset). I've balanced a seatpost on the bike for the photo until I manage to get the right size, also did a quick job of re-covering the Scott saddle.

Still undecided to stick to original style or get it repainted in new colours, but keeping the same two colour theme.

Attachments

• IMG_1269b.jpg
    IMG_1269b.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 5,088
  • IMG_1270b.jpg
    IMG_1270b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5,085
  • IMG_1274b.jpg
    IMG_1274b.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,089
  • IMG_1267b.jpg
    IMG_1267b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5,088
Thanks Haggis,
I'll look around for one. Still trying to get back down to earth after the last few minutes of the Wales/Scotland match.

Bloody outstanding, wun't it?? I was sitting thinking "we could end up with a draw here......." and then "Feck! We could lose this!!!!"

It's a really nice bike - the correct chainset and rear mech would be the black painted Deore LX units, and I think they would set the rest of the bike off a little better than polished DX parts.

I personally would keep the original paint, I always kind of liked the 1993s, and the red/silver/grey on the Eldridge was arguably the best of the bunch that year.

Here's a pic from the catalogue (I was wrong about the rear mech, right about the cranks though):

eldridgegrade1993.jpg

Hello,

I just bought one (last monday), and I confirm 26,4 mm.

I haven't yet tried it. Maybe next week. Currently, I have my old sunn Revolt (1996) to try.

What do you think of the marin (it term of performance, pleasure, behaviour, ....) ?

Thanks,

vvvd

Did you buy that one that was on ebay? It looked in good condition and was a bargain at the price. I'm no expert having only converted to mountain bikes from road bikes a year or so back, but I'm very impressed with the ride. It's surprisingly light and very responsive. I'm not into downhill stuff or riding very rough ground so can't comment on that side, although it's probably not up to the performance of modern suspension bikes. On the road it's very easy and can go at a fair lick with no strain or problems, especially now I've put semi-slick tyres on. Gravel paths and light country terrain are also handled well, although I can see why people go for front suspension as the wrists can get a bit sore off road - or perhaps it's just my lack of mtb experience. For the price you get a good quality ride, and now I've got the bug I'll be looking out for a similar bike to possibly put front suspension on next year. :D

Back