1993 Kona Lava Dome up for a rework...

The Project two forks were originally intended for my cinder cone project. As that is now to have Marzocchi Bombers the p2's were surplus to requirements...i decided to put them on this. They required a fair bit of work ...

DWOW1g1.jpg

1ZriZ5C.jpg

kKM2lWi.jpg

DgkMDvG.jpg

hy7JZDH.jpg

8qMMCau.jpg

xQTNtcv.jpg

R038H2Q.jpg

1x2iJpO.jpg

Ywm9ATY.jpg

urfwlpy.jpg

iM5k79W.jpg

KZdY5jE.jpg

kPH3Wnd.jpg

bS5UfdL.jpg

9TPUeLT.jpg

Id planned to use a Token aluminum headset but miscalculated the stack height so resorted to the Kona impact headset...

So, where does the lock nut go? :oops:

hQPR2fj.jpg

Velocity stem stripped, painted black and new decals fitted. As with the fork decals they were custom made with white lettering infill by H lloyd cycles.

As the bike is far from factory spec I've added Kona Custom decals. Applying graphics is my least favorite part of any restoration the results are rewarding but i find the process quite stressful this was the first time I've tried the wet application method.

GNoIKXF.jpg

rscPR9P.jpg

8Pn6WAD.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work - looks great! The Autotek stuff's good - the primer went on and seemed to stick on really well for me.

Reactions: enc
As im using DX calipers on this build, i decided to use DX leavers, chainset, and gear mechs.

These were stripped, degreased, and polished.
The leaver's black paint had faded other areas were scuffed and scratched. The scuffs were carefully blown in with black paint and scratches were touched up with a fine brush. The faded paint was brought back to life with Meguires 101 and polished.

knlojVm.jpg

yxov6An.jpg

cphQ5e9.jpg

Kona Airfix kit...

NgR5dQP.jpg

DTD0CRG.jpg

Dx pedals...pretty rough...
FKayYEA.jpg

yimfTvk.jpg

0Sklpam.jpg

2GB2f0d.jpg

KdIFr8M.jpg

De rusted...
DGFPkJB.jpg

Acid etch primer
NGXZ2EK.jpg

Satin black...
KyWIqts.jpg

embossed lettering filled with white paint...
7aYxJmP.jpg

Rubbed with t cut to remove "overpaint" leaving white paint in embossing only.
j5HLGQc.jpg

Factory these are satin black. should I leave them as is or clear coat them to protect them?
fUDPfbA.jpg

Back