1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro.

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all. :D
I'm looking to get a valuation for a friend.

I've added the pic from the 1992 catalogue as found in the archive.
I'll try and get pics up of the actual bike, but at the moment we've not been able too.

Essentially -

1 owner from new. the colour is the same as the brochure pic with matching direct drive forks. Tange Prestige frame. All decals present. Slight cable rub round headtube. Could do with some TLC to remove grime etc.
Instead of the full 'XC pro' spec of the brochure pic, the groupset is a full 'Deore DX' with thumbies. Wheels are Specialized BX23's on DX hubs. Original tyres. Specialized saddle
The owner assures me that this was specced like this from new. The only addition he made at purchase was a wider Specialized flat bar in Silver. The silver painted stem is heavily pitted with rust. The rest of the bike is blemish free (from what I can see in the pics he'd taken)

Any ideas on value? I Haven't found many examples on a google image search.... There was an eBay one with Future shocks for £300 some time ago...did it sell?

Cheers all. Thanks in advance
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Marksbike1.jpg
    Marksbike1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,905
G60MAT":39mqgq48 said:
Did this ever get sold, I'd be interested if still tucked away?

Bumping up a very old post! -

It's taken an age but I've finally managed to get this from the original owner..... but I'm in 2 minds of what to do with it.
Originally, it was going to be my spare 'retro ride' for mountain mayhem - a clean up and ride/ revive a shed find.....but as that's no longer on, I'm not sure if I actually need a 'spare' anymore.
On receiving it, it actually looks a bit on the 'small' side for me too - looks like an 18" but the guy it came from is taller than me - so I presumed the bike would be better sized. The saddle at that extension was just to check the seatpost wasn't seized.

The groupset is non-original Deore DX - Do I keep this and move the frame and Specialized bits on?

-or-
Sell as is as a complete package?

-or-
Restore?

Any ideas on value as is vs restored

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• stump2.jpg
    stump2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,807
  • stump1.jpg
    stump1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,806
boy"O"boy":2pls7ubg said:
G60MAT":2pls7ubg said:
The groupset is non-original Deore DX - Do I keep this and move the frame and Specialized bits on?

But it looks so complete that perhaps some markets offered it with that groupset instead of the Suntour? You're looking at a German brochure afterall.

Seems a shame to break it up, so I'd say restore and enjoy.
Otherwise rejuvenate and sell as complete package c.£300-£400?

*Engages vulture mode*

Tyres - are they Hardpack 1.5s??? :shock: Gimme gimme gimme! :D :LOL: I need one to make a pair...
Pedals - are they Specialized Direct Drive with clips??? Gimme gimme gimme! :) Have an active wanted ad for these to complete one of my Stumpjumpers... ;)

Re:

Once A Hero":2n31kxim said:
boy"O"boy":2n31kxim said:
G60MAT":2n31kxim said:

But it looks so complete that perhaps some markets offered it with that groupset instead of the Suntour? You're looking at a German brochure afterall.

Seems a shame to break it up, so I'd say restore and enjoy.
Otherwise rejuvenate and sell as complete package c.£300-£400?

*Engages vulture mode*

Tyres - are they Hardpack 1.5s??? :shock: Gimme gimme gimme! :D :LOL: I need one to make a pair...
Pedals - are they Specialized Direct Drive with clips??? Gimme gimme gimme! :) Have an active wanted ad for these to complete one of my Stumpjumpers... ;)

So I spoke to the original owner today.
Turns out the the bike started out as a purple 'normal' Stumpjumper that was fully kitted with the Deore DX and Specialized components you see here. Essentially it was a warranty replacement for paint failure on the original that was reluctantly replaced by the shop after some dispute.
As the '93 bike were out by then, this replacement was all the shop could offer. They switched all the components over to this frame.
As this was 'all we can offer' - The owner thinks this explains the smaller size - the original would have been a 20" frame. He didn't really use it much after this.

The Stumpjumper pro would have definitely been Suntour XC pro micro drive, so I wouldn't feel guilty about breaking this for a complete Deore DX groupset for something else.

I could invest the time in sourcing a correct XC pro groupset and building up to how it should be - but as its the wrong size for me, there seems little point.

Hardpack 1.5's = yes
Specialized direct drive with clips = yes (although if these were direct drive titanuims, you'd have to prise them from my hands!)

G60MAT":2n31kxim said:
Looks pretty tidy, i may be interested if you wish to sell?

Cheers Mat. - Are you talking a frame and fork or the whole package?

As this isn't the correct groupset for the frame, I'm tempted to break and keep the groupset for myself. The vultures are already circling for the rest ;)

Wasn't someone on here after the saddle too?

Here's more pics.
Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,716
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,714
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,713
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,718
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,718
Re:

Always nice when you are able to get a bit more background on a bikes history :cool:
I’ve dropped you a PM ;)

Re:

Hey mate, what did you end up doing with this in the end?
I'm on the hunt for one of these so just wondering if you might still have it knocking around? Do PM me if you can, cheers!

Back