?1992 Rocky Mountain Hammer on Gumtree

noteeth

Dirt Disciple
Tempted, as I owned a '91 BITD & would like to get hold of an older steel Rocky again. But too far for me, and the retrofund is currently closed out (sigh).

Could be wrong, but pretty sure this is a '92 Hammer, somewhat re-dressed... perhaps somebody could rescue it!

You did a nice job of the paintwork, it's in a funny old state now though, all over the place, 3 different colours of cable, mixture of DX and LX components, shitty plastic pedals and god only knows what that wheelset is from, but I bought it for £150 anyway, lovely bike to ride though, whoever cobbled it together did it very well, everything is very tight and it feels solid. Really enjoyable ride back 👍

It has V brakes in your pic, that puts it later than 92 though right?
Here's a pic from the 97 catalogue that seems like a good match
hammer 97.PNG

Last edited:
You did a nice job of the paintwork, it's in a funny old state now though, all over the place, 3 different colours of cable, mixture of DX and LX components, shitty plastic pedals and god only knows what that wheelset is from, but I bought it for £150 anyway, lovely bike to ride though, whoever cobbled it together did it very well, everything is very tight and it feels solid. Really enjoyable ride back 👍

It has V brakes in your pic, that puts it later than 92 though right?
Here's a pic from the 97 catalogue that seems like a good match
View attachment 558127

Ah, glad to see this went to an appreciative home... pretty sure the monostay (as opposed to later twin stays) make an earlier frame, likely a '92 - though these things are always a bit fuzzy, of course :)

Ah, glad to see this went to an appreciative home... pretty sure the monostay (as opposed to later twin stays) make an earlier frame, likely a '92 - though these things are always a bit fuzzy, of course :)
Good point about the monostay.
Not sure what to do with it yet, will try to narrow it down to the correct year if possible and then look at a catalogue correct restoration, it really is a lovely bike to ride, never ridden one before but I can see now why they have such a great reputation and such loyal enthusiastic owners.

Good point about the monostay.
Not sure what to do with it yet, will try to narrow it down to the correct year if possible and then look at a catalogue correct restoration, it really is a lovely bike to ride, never ridden one before but I can see now why they have such a great reputation and such loyal enthusiastic owners.

Indeed, lovely bikes. Glad to hear you are thinking of restoring it! :)

I’m fairly sure it was a ‘92, I think the Deore components on it were original but the bike had been altered about a fair bit by the previous owner. Good luck with the restoration though, the bike was too small for me so I sold it on but I remember being impressed with how light it was and the quality of the ride.

Back