1992 Rocky Mountain Altitude

Nothing can substitute a Thunderbolt, but an Altitude comes close ;-)

Indeed, RealSeal now installed, it fits well and the colour looks great I would say. Thanks!

Not that I don't like the Rock Shox fork on this bike, actually I really like the colour matched red stanchions. But Syncros Powerlites are almost mandatory on this bike I think. Pretty damn hard to find one that has a headtube long enough to fit this 20" frame. Earlier I bought a one inch version for another build, but I changed my mind there so I had that one in the stash waiting for a decision.

Then I found another one here locally that was advertised as 1.1/8" with a steerer long enough for my frame. When it arrived it turned out to be a one inch as well. Bummer. The owner had removed the brake studs on it because he thought that looked better on a fixie... Can you imagine? Well, I was able to get it cheaply as the seller realized this was not a clever move. And I only needed the crown so I didn't care that much about the stanchions. Good news is that a local frame builder here in the Netherlands can braze on identical studs, so I have that done somewhere in the coming time.

Some people say one inch Powerlites are very rare, and I find myself having two that I can't use... So I decided to fit it on the Altitude anyway, using 1.1/8" to 1" headset reducers and the 1" Syncros stem I still had in my stash. An ultra low stack height headset was the only missing part but thanks to the guys here I found one in Taiwan and that arrived today. Great!

I've changed the steerer bar as well. A few weeks ago I sourced a Syncros Ti steerer here locally in the Netherlands, that's a nice upgrade I have to say. I think it's a '93 version, looking at the magnesium wedge with the holes in it, but this bike with its XC Pro kit and later Syncros seatpost isn't a catalogue spec anyway.

It's coming close to completion I think. An earlier Syncros seatpost is on the hunt list but they are not easy to find in 27.0. And changing all back to a Powerlite with 1.1/8" steerer tube when I manage to find one makes sense. Not that it looks bad with the 1" headset, but after all we should keep ourselves busy, right?

Some crappy iphone pics here:

foto%2525202%252520%25252812%252529.JPG

foto%2525201%252520%25252813%252529.JPG

Re:

While I don't believe the forks are correct for the bike, it being a 92 and not the 91. It looks good.
I have a better use for my powerlites, they're doing great service as a front wheel truing stand.

Quick question though, what is the outer diameter of the steerertube (or hole size of the crown) of the 1" powerlites from the underneath?

Indeed FC, not the correct fork but it looks awesome anyway :)

It's not easy to measure on the 1" as the alu crown is quite battered, but I measure roughly 25.6 mm. I think the one inch steerer tube goes straight into it.

Re:

Troj,

FYI
Rsjdavis has a 1 and 1/8 powerlite lookig to trade for a 1" powerlite.

Ignore, I just noticed you already connected with him... :facepalm:

Thanks

Will

Re:

Thanks! They're Onza Aggro's and actually only intended for the front wheel. But on the rear wheel it is turned around and rides very well. Still waiting for a Honch to replace them though. But they look good!

Back