1992 Rocky Mountain Èquipe --- Also known as the difference between Èquipe and Team Comp

What's the rear spacing on your '92 equipé, Nigel?

135?

I have the '91 its not in my hands at the minute so unable to measure the spacing.

Have a nice set of wolbers which have 130mm spacing I was hoping to use.

130 is generally pre-1990, right?

All my 92's are 135 spacing. the only bike I have with 130 is my 91 GT Team Avalanche. My 92 Glacier is super early 91 built, and it's 135mm spacing. I'm not exactly sure when Rocky Mountain switched to be honest. @FluffyChicken might know more.

What's the rear spacing on your '92 equipé, Nigel?

135?

I have the '91 its not in my hands at the minute so unable to measure the spacing.

Have a nice set of wolbers which have 130mm spacing I was hoping to use.

130 is generally pre-1990, right?
No idea,
but I think most in even the late 80s are 135mm as RM tended to stay with the better specs, and 130 was 6 speed era of the past really, unless targeting the Exage groupset rather than the Mountain/Deore groupset.

You'd need someone with '88 or earlier to tell you.

I missed this thread, excellent post and great pictures.

Yes RM change frame angles as sizes increased so harder to compare.

@NigelFinnighan if yu ever get that last number from the serial.
anyway I add the Equipe to the serial number database.

Last edited:
Sorry, late to the serial number discussion...
Other difference as previously discussed, the mystery of the different serial numbers.

That doesn't indicate where it was made. But they're obviously not the same frame, too may differences to be the same of a different name.
Is your mystery why one runs across the BB shell, vs the other running the length of it? I don't exactly remember where I read this, if it is stamped in a line across the width of the BB shell, it was made in Canada, if it is stamped around the circumference near the edge, overseas. Could account for the quality difference as well, the Canadian bikes were better made.

I missed this thread, excellent post and great pictures.

Yes RM change frame angles as sizes increased so harder to compare.

@NigelFinnighan if yu ever get that last number from the serial.
anyway I add the Equipe to the serial number database.
I will throw it up in the stand today and have a better look at that S/N- I'll update the spreadsheet with what I find. I may have a few others to add as well, I can't remember what I've added.

Sorry, late to the serial number discussion...

Is your mystery why one runs across the BB shell, vs the other running the length of it? I don't exactly remember where I read this, if it is stamped in a line across the width of the BB shell, it was made in Canada, if it is stamped around the circumference near the edge, overseas. Could account for the quality difference as well, the Canadian bikes were better made.
No that wasn't the mystery, but that's a great point. I hadn't heard that, but all my supposed Canadian built frames, the S/N abides by this.

My mystery is with the 4 digit serial in general, some say that's the indicator of Canadian built, others say that it doesn't matter.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, me, you and like 26 other people worldwide care, but it would just be nice to know lol.

Back