1992 Roberts White Spider dirt drop build (Finished - Page 3)

Thanks, toying with dirt drops on my thorn.
I believe you can get the rm-014's in a wider size than the 540mm I have, definitely go for wider in my opinion, these ones are far less comfortable and limit control, of course it depends on your own preference.

Edit, mine are RM-3's

Last edited:
Band clamps from Spain arrived and they work perfectly, so a big gracias to member @Repelentes. The one on the left is the larger handmade version 👍

P1250605.JPG

So the towers fit, that's one hurdle overcome. I just need to decide if I want to modify the DKG's, a bit of a risk as they were quite pricey, or find the correct thumbie towers, regardless I'm still not ready to fully utilize them anyway due to not yet having an XTR wheelset, so that decision at least can wait for now.

So it's just a matter of what shifters I'll use until then. I have the suntour thumbies fitted right now and first impressions are OK, they will definitely not be optimal but certainly functional enough, I'll have a play tomorrow before I commit, the other option is barcons which are honestly great for my needs although I really do love these thumbies..

P1250609.JPG
P1250607.JPG
P1250606.JPG
P1250612.JPG

Last edited:
Barcons it is!
P1270010.JPG P1270007.JPG
Been playing around with various set ups and the most convenient and comfortable option (for now) is the suntour bar end shifters. Got the bike all cabled up, will put the chain on tomorrow, dial it all in and finalise the fit, then I'll apply the bartape and take some proper snaps out on the trail.

I admire the pace of your building. I’d be mulling it over for months 🤦‍♂️😂
Appreciate you’ve already had a test run previously though

I admire the pace of your building. I’d be mulling it over for months 🤦‍♂️😂
Appreciate you’ve already had a test run previously though
Oh, I've been mulling it over for months lol, and the test run was part of that, and once I have it all clear in my mind what I want to do and all the bits i need are here, can't wait to get it done and ridden : )

And it's done!
ws3.jpg ws2.jpg P1280021.jpg ws4.jpg ws5.jpg
P1280028.JPG

I love it, what was supposed to be a 10 minute road test ended up being a 2 hour urban trek, the only thing I needed to adjust was saddle height, everything else is bang on. It rides like a dream, the short wheelbase means that even in the drops it's comfortable, I never feel over stretched and on the levers it's ideal for cruising.

Last edited:
Took it for its first proper ride this morning, this is exactly what I had in mind for this bike, forest trails, a bit of mud, plenty of brambles, the odd tree root and this bike loves all that, as mentioned above it's a short bike, short top tube and short wheel base which makes it extremely nimble and easy to control down the narrow tracks, it's very light and agile and has astonishing acceleration, I've heard people talking about bikes with good acceleration and I always thought it was a little bit exaggerated, surely it's all in the quads... nope, this is the first time I have experienced noticeably rapid acceleration in a bike.

Totally different bike to what I'm used to but perfectly suited for what I want it to do, very pleased with it.
P1290035.png P1290039.JPG.png P1290044.JPG.png P1290054.JPG.png P1290055.png
P1290041.png

Last edited:
Looks really nice :cool: Out of curiosity (re the cable routing) I’m assuming you don’t ride on the top of the bar at all?

Looks really nice :cool: Out of curiosity (re the cable routing) I’m assuming you don’t ride on the top of the bar at all?
I do ride on top of the bar and the cables don't interfere with that at all, I mean I can feel them, they brush the underside/outside of my wrists/hands sometimes when turning but it's very light and not something that bothers me at all.

Forgive ms paint skills

Attachments

• hands.png
    hands.png
    985.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back