1992 Orange Aluminium Elite. Completed! New pics!

Re: 1992 Orange Aluminium Elite

Following this one...… ;-) there seems to be a few of us on similar builds at the moment. It will be good to see how everyone progresses.
The lacquer I've stripped, well most of it and the rubbing down has commenced (oh the joys) and polished up a few XT parts I have. My RC35's are being 'refreshed' and being rebuilt so things are coming along be it a bit slowly... must get a build thread going me thinks :)

Re:

Cheers fellas....

Ok so I’m about to start the frame strip (of laquer) and decals here from Gil. I’ve already sourced a full period XT grouppo inc hubs on Mavic rims.

Will sort the frame and start to rebuild it. Once done I’ll get in with the forks....

Not sure what to do re headset? It’s 1 and 1/4. I try to fit new headsets each time I do a full rebuild however as these are rare size I might try servicing it with new bearings...

Re:

So...

After around 5 coats of paint stripper over past few weeks (been busy at work!)...

It’s almost stripped!

I recon another coat should do it...

I recon once I get the decals on that my mojo to finish it will be back as laquer stripping is a laborious task.....

Attachments

• 381F44E4-97CA-4F79-A133-34BA7A84FD29.jpeg
    381F44E4-97CA-4F79-A133-34BA7A84FD29.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 717
  • 01091809-F62F-48B0-8B7C-C6E1267C8E54.jpeg
    01091809-F62F-48B0-8B7C-C6E1267C8E54.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 716

Doing a fine job there!

Looking forward to seeing this Elite back to its former glory. :cool:

No pressure though, only a dozen or so elite owners eagerly watching you're every move!

:D

Re:

I feel your pain.... just been through the very same process and it took a while but all good and ready to polish and decal up :) Seems we've similar builds in mind, looking forward to your seeing this come together for sure :cool:

emjay":1glqa1ae said:
Doing a fine job there!

Looking forward to seeing this Elite back to its former glory. :cool:

No pressure though, only a dozen or so elite owners eagerly watching you're every move!

:D

Made me laugh! .....

Ok so another coat of stripper yesterday followed by a blast with a pressure washer seems to have really done the majority of it now. The remaining small bits of laquer I think will need removing with wire wool prior to final polish with autosol. I bought a load of sponge mops off eBay for peanuts Which fit to a cordless drill which will work a treat and save a few hours. Hopefully do more today in the sun....

Top tip with the stripper Ross..... apply first coat, second after an hour to agitate then after another hour try a pressure washer on it... ;)

prezza":3k23q46m said:
Top tip with the stripper Ross..... apply first coat, second after an hour to agitate then after another hour try a pressure washer on it... ;)

2nd that, definitely give it a good dab and agitate well when applying the second coat, it really takes effect. Leave for a good hour plus again and blast off with a hose etc :)

Back