1992 Mercian King of Mercia

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":w6jt3qm2 said:
The gentleman who painted it is Dave Colbeck, I will post up his details tonight but I know him from the Carlton group on Facebook amongst others. His work as you can see is top class.
Jamie

I wonder where he is based?

Hi Joe
He is based in Leeds. Do you know him? Do you want his contact details?

Here are a couple of photos from Martin with the lug lining being done. We just needed to decide whether to infill the small hearts on the head tube and seat lug in white or just line and also whether to ling the white on the headtube in black. Which we are doing.

Jamie

1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

6 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

That is fabulous work. I'd leave the cutouts just as they are if it was me - I think they look great. I'm just about to do something similar on my old BSA (but in black on red, and no cutouts) but I think I will struggle to match the quality on the Mercian!

I do have history though:

Attachments

• revlining.JPG
    revlining.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,068
If I hadn't seen the picture I would have said infill the hearts but when I look at the picture it looks superb so I would just leave them lined.

Thanks for the kind words.
I did decide in the end to leave the cut outs unfilled, just lined.
Here are a couple of shots of the head tube finished and about to be cleared over.
Wont be long now and it will be home, so looking forward to building it back up and getting back out on it.
Jamie

13 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

14 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

It’s been a real pleasure lug lining this beautiful frame. I have a soft spot for Mercian being local to me and of the upmost quality.
Last year I did a bare frame restoration and build of a King of Mercia (with Dave Colbeck doing the paint) for a good friend who’s father Gordon Ian, won the National TT three times in the late 50’s early 60’s on a Mercian. I had the pleasure of taking it for a test ride and it was a truly amazing bike. I can understand why you love yours so much.

After a really busy winter moving house and getting the new one ready to be lived in along with being made redundant then staying where I am but with a different title, to have three different job application still on the go, I haven't really had much time to just sit and build any of my bikes. Really just been stealing a bit of time when I can to ride but now that some semblance of normality, or as close as we can get to it, has returned to the Dyer house I spent a couple of evenings just mucking about with the KOM. Seeing if the few ideas, as well as parts, I had for it would fit and be able to work.
So just a quick mock up. I had originally started on the other touring KOM as thought best to leave the fresh painted road version until the roads had finished with their winter salting, but after putting some of the parts on the other one I thought they may look better on this , so I just couldn't help myself.
The plan was to run it 9 speed triple, Dura Ace downtube shifters with a LX rear derailleur running a 12/30 cassette. Bars are Nitto B35 Randonneur with a NYC Nitto stem. Braking I want to use my Mafac Racers so will need to sleeve down the Allen key holes for the standard allen headed brake bolts. Levers are Mafacs with Dia Compe hoods and a Dia Comp cable hanger. Chainset is a Stronglight Impact though I do need to get a slightly longer bottom bracket (UN55).
Unfortunately I haven't finished my wheels I wanted for it, Shimano 600 hubs with Wolber Gentleman rims, so have just used my Open Pros fitted with my preferred Jack Brown Mile Munchers in a 700x30 size.
Anyway, just took a couple of rough phone photos to show how it's coming.

Jamie

3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

6 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

8 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking great Jamie. :cool:

Mind you, if you're not careful you are gonna have more 'high days and holidays' bikes than there are high days and holidays to enjoy them! :LOL:

Re:

That's turned out grand Jamie, some hours of hard work gone into that frame, and it shows. Stunning :cool:

Latest posts

Back