1992 Alpinestars Al Mega XT - update 13/06/16

Re:

Oh lordy.....

You must be super happy with that, if not we're all piling round yours to beat yah up and draw straws for it.

Really happy how it's turned out. The non-drive side is suffering some slight delamination, partly my fault when cleaning it, partly just its age and general wear. Phil had a lot of trouble separating the old rim due to ten screws that had corroded and were seized into the nipples. Fair play he put a lot of effort in and had the confidence to try. I entrusted him with it cause he's built loads of wheels and did the ones for my DX build. I bolted it all up last Saturday morning in the shop and it's a good job I had all the NOS hardware or I think it would've been quite tricky getting the precise adjustments. It's Phil's first and only TDD build to date and he's done a great job. It's cost me a lot of money to obtain and get this together, but you know what it's like to want something rare, have the opportunity to obtain it, then take the time to source components and the expertise to put it together, right? ;) I doubt I'd even break even on it if I had to sell it and I know I could've - maybe should have - built it on an M900 hub, but it was done for this specific build and the purpose of riding it at Mayhem, so after all the waiting and all the money, I can't wait to ride it! If it falls apart, I don't care. It's gonna be hung on the garage wall in a week from now with a story behind it either way. I obviously hope it survives for a couple more outings though!

Very cool Regan! Happy to see the wheel come together so well. These things can be a crap shoot but I think you're going to be happy with the wheel. The new hardware improves you chances of getting it pretty true as long as the kevlar strands were sound. The wheel will flex a bit with you in turns but stay with it...and enjoy the snare drum effect through the tight spots in the woods!

Back