1991 TRIMBLE - EARTHQUAKE JAKE WATSON

jwlinn

Devout Dirtbag
Retrobike family-

You all have been so good to myself and our family in helping with the two current rebuild projects for Jake: the 1996 Alpinestars and the 1993 Marin.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by a guy in Colorado who said he had just received Jake's 1991 Trimble race bike (shown below as complete bike). He said he saw the work I was doing with Jake's other bikes and offered to send me this bike, not asking for anything in return. Upon getting it, I was able to confirm it was in fact Jake's based on the stickers that had left a shadowing on the frames paint job. I compared the faded markings to the stickers in the photos we had from 1991. Exact matches.

I am still working on the other two bikes but have started my searching for parts to make this bike original again. On that note, I have decided that Jake's old Tioga Disc Drive (I remember it being used on a 95 bike but may be older than that) will be used as his rear wheel on this bike as I do not have a rear wheel and do not recall what he used back then.

Thanks everyone for all the support - thought I would share this piece with all of you.

Josh

if anyone knows where I can find the following - I have compiled a short list of parts I am searching for:
Cassette 1991 7 speed
R Der 1991 xt
Front Der 1991 XT
Cranks 1991 Ringle Grafton Speed Sticks
Brakes Rear 1991 Grafton Speed Controllers
Brake Levers 1991 Shimano 732 (I dont think he used Grafton here based on photos)
grips ODI (the ribbed looking ones)
Pedals grafton Speed Traps
Tires Onza Porcs or Tioga?
Bar Ends onza

Attachments

• 1991, Jake Watson, Trimble, From Noah Richstone and Russell Zimmermann (1).jpg
    1991, Jake Watson, Trimble, From Noah Richstone and Russell Zimmermann (1).jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 2,319
  • 1991, Jake Watson, Trimble, From Noah Richstone and Russell Zimmermann.jpg
    1991, Jake Watson, Trimble, From Noah Richstone and Russell Zimmermann.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2,319
  • Jakes 1991 Trimble, Mammoth.jpg
    Jakes 1991 Trimble, Mammoth.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,322
I am now thinking that the Disc Drive was from 91 / 92 era. . . so I think it will look right at home on the bike!

A disk drive would look great on the bike, there was a NOS one for sale on here a couple of weeks ago :) .

I wish I had more news on it. . . since the move, I have had a few other family and work items going on. I am trying to get a custom disc brake adapter for Jake's Alpinestar bike made and get that bike off the to do list.

For the Trimble, I did find some cranks and shifters, I need a seat and derailleurs. I also need to get the two cracks on the frame patched. Believe me, I cannot wait to get this bike up and running.

check out Jake's facebook page for all the bikes.

thanks for checking in.

Josh

I dont know what the frame number is. . . I will check next time I have it out of the box. Again, I need to get the two cracked spots repaired first.

jwlinn":12tpdzx6 said:
I dont know what the frame number is. . . I will check next time I have it out of the box. Again, I need to get the two cracked spots repaired first.
Thanks, will be interesting to see if there's any similarity to mine. Never managed to find any info or make sense of the frame number on my frame :?

what was your frame number? Jake was racing for Trimble at the time. . . so I am curious to see what it is myself.

Back