1991 specialized stumpjumper bottom bracket axle length

little markie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone advise me on what length bottom bracket axel i need for my 91 stumpjumper?
Going to run a DX chainset and Sheldon Brown says 122.5mm. But this has given me alot of clearance between the chainrings and chain stays.
Was thinking more like 118mm maybe.

Any ideas?

My guess was going to be 122.5 as I'm pretty sure that was still the common length back then. For a rough comparison, I know it depends on the chainstays, but my stock 90 Mongoose with DX has about 1cm between the outer ring (46t) and the chainstay.

On my 1992 Stumpjumper Comp, though still to actually build, with 3*7 Shimano XT M730 crankset, I concluded 122.5.

Deore XT M730Triple122.5Square110/741990-199

What the chainline distance from the centre of the tube to the middle chainring? Just to check nothing wierd is going on, as I'm with the others at 122mm.

Can anyone advise me on what length bottom bracket axel i need for my 91 stumpjumper?
Going to run a DX chainset and Sheldon Brown says 122.5mm. But this has given me alot of clearance between the chainrings and chain stays.
Was thinking more like 118mm maybe.

Any ideas?
Have the chain rings been swapped for ones with a lower tooth count than the originals? That would account for the generous clearance between rings and chain stays.

Latest posts

Back