1991 Muddy Fox Alu Pro

Re:

That is in really nice shape.
One of my favorite bikes from the early 90's.
Love the oversized headtube.

I'm restoring the same bike with a 16 inch frame. I am the original owner--purchased it new in 1991. It was my second real mountain bike. I went to the bike shop ready to buy a Cannondale and saw it hanging in the shop window. Muddy Fox bikes were rare in the US then. I paid $950 dollars US. In 1993 I put a Scott Unishock fork on it (feels like a pogo stick). Luckily, I saved the original chromo rigid fork that I'm using for the restore.

My paint is all chipped up from years of abuse. I was thinking stripping the frame and repainting, but was worried the decals would be hard to reproduce. Do you think Gil could make me some of those same decals? How do I get in touch with him?

I'm new here, but an old-time MTBer (since 86).
I will post the restoration here at retrobike.

Re:

Ha! No way, it was my second bike as well!

My frame was in a real bad state, so I had it professionally shot blasted and powder coated. (Don’t worry them thick tubes will survive)

Gil then expertly did the decals, find his FB page, retro decals

Good luck !

Am about to start my pink 89 version soon :D

Thanks Xeo!
The pink 89 was the sweetest one in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing that.
Wasn't that a continuation of what was called the ARAYA series?

I didn't think you could powder coat aluminum frames?
I was told the heat treatment they do is not good fro the aluminum welds.

Re:

No worries
(Names Cristian :D )

Araya were the original manufacturers of muddy fox, in fact, the name muddy fox came from a model that Araya produced ..

Drew and Ari ran S&G cycles in London, and the courier was the first Uk bike they did (I’m sure)

Re powder coating, these old Alu frames are generally fine, mine came out perfectly ok, it was just shot ballasted and powder coated. Modern hydroformed Alu frames have much thinner tubing, so not as suitable.

Just make sure you get a decent company doing the job

Thanks for the info!
My Alu Pro was the only one I ever saw here in the states (east coast). They were much more popular in the UK than the US. I like the asymetric tubing of the 91, especially the top-tube...ver unique!

I guess the brand kinda went to shit in the mid-90's.

I decided to just go with polyurethane and top coat.
Just to be safe.

Back