1991 Monster Fat Chance

Sorry they got small there at the end. I didn't feel like firing up Photoshop just to shave a couple kb so I resaved at a smaller size. I need ot go take a better full bike pic when the light is right :)

So......That's the Monster!
I am not sure how I feel about the blue SRP stuff. I've got a silver Ringle seat QR and a couple bolts in silver or black that would work, but the dust caps might be a bit harder to find a proper replacement for. Alternatively, I could run with it and switch out the brake levers for some sweet blue SS-5's I have on my townie. I think I am also likely to drop a set of XC Pro pedals I have on this instead of the DA (though they are wonderful! super comfy!).

None of that may matter if the drop plan goes through. Has anyone here used the On One Midge? I thinking that will be the way I go if I do it......
Anyway, enjoy the pics!

:shock: :D Very sharp. To my eye, the paint color is a deep rich shade of bubblegum or cotton candy and it looks like there's a gallon of paint on the frame (that's a compliment). How original is the bike with the set of components that's already on there? i.e. how much switching out of components did the 2nd owner do? I think I agree that switching to silver/black bits will make the frame jump out at you that much more. Nice job pulling the trigger to acquire this one.

Wowsers :eek: :cool: :cool: that is lush. Minty mintness :D I reckon your right about the blue, I'd change it out I think. Toronto cycles have nice Ti crank caps that would suit. I've got a pair of Gary bars, same as the Midge, very comfy and its nice having a different position. Hard to get them looking right though, have a look at my Kuwhara link in my sig. FWIW I think their a bit low grade for a Fat too, what about WTB dirt drops or even Nitto Randonneurs?

Thank you's kindly.

I am pretty stoked on it. The ride is fantastic and smooth......although all I have done is cruise around the neighborhood :)

It may end up with proper offroad tires, maybe not. I have other bikes to get muddy, and the Paselas are nice. The reason I am thinking Midge's over the WTBs is that the drop is shallower which might help for the already low head tube.....then again, if a set of old school WTB bars fell into my lap I would go with those and make it work. We'll see....... I'll update here as any changes are made!

Kaiser----the bars on the Kuwahara are WTBs yeah? I'll look in to the rando's too. Thinking those the ones with the slight upsweep on the tops?

yo-Nate-y":3aahjoe6 said:
Kaiser----the bars on the Kuwahara are WTBs yeah? I'll look in to the rando's too. Thinking those the ones with the slight upsweep on the tops?

nah those are origin8 Gary bars, a copy of the midges. Actually easier to get in the states and cheaper I think. If you go down that route DrS 'periodised' a pair of modern bars rather well. And yeah the randonneurs have the up sweep, would maybe need a goose neck stem for those.

I really regret not bidding on that now. The colour and condition are stunning. Wish I had that in my Fat Farm.

Back