1991 Kona Explosif - The Purple One

Move along...there's nothing to see here...other than some bits brought together by my LBS (Bicycle Ambulance, Cambridge - Andy's built plenty of wheels for me - top notch).
These Vittorias were the MOST b@stardish to put on. Honestly, if I was on a trail-side with a puncture I would have been gently sobbing. I've removed and put on tyres in the depth of winter on my commuter with sobbing....these would have left me in a ditch to die.
Pictures! New rims, new rear XT with a cheeky Ti axle, VVGC Ringle front. Got some T-Gear Ti quick release skewers coming from a German Ebay seller (was tempted by non-QR Ti allen skewers). Need to press on with some decals from Gil, then get the frame and forks off to someone, probably Mercian for paint.
IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG

Pretty sure they're old stock but nice and new. EBAY Italy - they were a good price - the seller has (or had) quite a few Campy 26" rims and other tyres too.
The project itself has stalled whilst another project gets finished.

(Inspects shed) it's still in the shed! This summer's re-spray project. I have decals - just need to apply myself when the weather's fine to do another garden spray-job. I'm hoping Montana do a deep purple spray-can close to OE - so I need to take the frame to a local-ish graffiti spray shop to colour-match the original un-faded bits. Then it's just time and preparation and a fine weekend or three

(Inspects shed) it's still in the shed! This summer's re-spray project. I have decals - just need to apply myself when the weather's fine to do another garden spray-job. I'm hoping Montana do a deep purple spray-can close to OE - so I need to take the frame to a local-ish graffiti spray shop to colour-match the original un-faded bits. Then it's just time and preparation and a fine weekend or three
Any auto paint shops near you? They might be able to colour match by scanning your paint or swatch and mix into an aerosol for you.

A real slow burner this one - still unpainted - that'll happen this summer. Picked up a few bits though and a bit of a change in direction.

I'm never going to off-road it - my MTBs back in the day ended up built for road speed. Having lived and cycled in London in the 90's/ 2000's I was well aware of the couriers and their bikes. The Helmut Burns Sonic photo is the inspiration:
sonic.jpg
Having dropped of the Mrs at Centre Parks Thetford for a spa day a trip down the road to Madgetts yielded a new in box 27.0 400mm Race Face carbon seatpost - I was quite chuffed as finding anything nice and long in 27.0 was proving a touch difficult. The saddle's a new ti-rail version - but it's the same as they always were so I don't mind at all it's not 'vintage'.
IMG_1125.JPG
Continuing with the 'black' theme Yorvik Engineering powder coated some MT60/ DX cranks and a short Cinelli stem in black. Satin for the cranks, gloss for the stem. A test fit to check there's clearance with a 115mm BB and I think we're good to go.

IMG_1122.JPG IMG_1123.JPG Nice big Middleburn chainring!
IMG_1124.JPG

Mavic bars will have a single bar end gear lever and some 600 Tricolor levers which are waiting in the shed. There's a nice Tricolor rear mech with a titanium mounting bolt in the shed too which will work with a close-ratio 7spd block.

I'm hoping to get a pair of Continental 26x1 Grand Prix tyres from Condor Cycles as I'm due a trip to London to see a pal. Once it's painted it'll come together quickly and nothing I'm doing to it is irreversible so no harm done turning it into a road-based whippet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back