1991 (?) Jamis Dakota

How are you getting on with this project?
I have a 93 Dakota. It's Bordeaux Red and has very similar style Jamis decals to yours. I also have a 94 Jamis and the decals are quite different in design, so presumably yours is pre 1993. Interestingly, my 93 Dakota has a distinctly different rear brake guide if this helps. If you need any other snaps then just shout. IMG_5448[1].JPG

How are you getting on with this project?
I have a 93 Dakota. It's Bordeaux Red and has very similar style Jamis decals to yours. I also have a 94 Jamis and the decals are quite different in design, so presumably yours is pre 1993. Interestingly, my 93 Dakota has a distinctly different rear brake guide if this helps. If you need any other snaps then just shout.View attachment 785166
Unfortunately, it's not going anywhere at the moment. Somehow there is hardly any time in the last few months and if there is, then some other bike is always more important...
At the moment it's hanging there waiting to be dismantled.
IMG_20230809_122642.jpg
The cable routing also looks interesting on your bike. Thanks for the photo and your assessment.
Do you have a good picture of the decals on the fork? I would need a template to reproduce them.

Unfortunately, it's not going anywhere at the moment. Somehow there is hardly any time in the last few months and if there is, then some other bike is always more important...
At the moment it's hanging there waiting to be dismantled.
View attachment 785798
The cable routing also looks interesting on your bike. Thanks for the photo and your assessment.
Do you have a good picture of the decals on the fork? I would need a template to reproduce them.
Crumbs, yes I see what you mean. Plenty to keep you busy there.
I will take a snap of head decal later, and I'm more than happy to try and get you whatever quality of images you might need. I'm sure I know someone with camera skills who will help me, lol. If you manage to work up a set of decals, then I'd be up for a set too, budget allowing.

a chunk of work flattening out the head decal appears to have already been done (albeit for a Diablo), see this thread

decals diablo.jpg

I believe you have a 1990 Dakota. I've got a 1989 Dakota w/ red paint, triple butted Tange tubing, & the same style & color decals. The only difference I see is my bike has 2 water bottle cages on the downtube, different placement of the cable guides along the top tube, plus mine has a more standard rear brake cable guide.
Also, DX came out in 1990, so that might confirm the date as well.
Here are some photos I found on the net of another white Dakota.

Attachments

• jam2.JPG
    jam2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 11
  • jam1.JPG
    jam1.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 11
  • jam.JPG
    jam.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: bif
I finally got the Dakota ready to ride last week because I wanted to know if it would actually fit me. It's a bit on the small side but it's great fun and super agile. I rode the first lap today and loved it.
Now I know it's going to get a new paint job and the final choice of parts has also been made.
IMG_20240110_170342.jpg IMG_20240111_083118.jpg IMG_20240111_082308.jpg

I have 17" (or 17.5") Jamis and ride them with fairly high saddle. Probably about 27.5" from bottom bracket to top of saddle, which feels about spot on sizing (I'm 5'6"). I have a 16" Dragon too, and while rideable it's dinky and the seat post was stuck out miles. It found a purpose though as my wife has grabbed it. She's 5 foot tall.
If that helps.

Back