1991/1992 GT Zaskar

The RS Mag 20 could be an original as well. It was an extra cost option on '92 Zaskars.
Good point! At first I though it was original for sure. However, the steerer is way too short for the headtube so it must have been installed afterwards... or the steerer was cut for some reason?

Some updates on this build. The dissasembly went smoothly! I expected a lot of seized parts, but everything came off easily.

The first step of this project was to clean up the frame and inspect it. Overall, it is in good condition, with no cracks, significant dents, or major damage. There are small dings on the top tube (possibly from a bike lock) and a tiny, barely visible one on the left seatstay, but they don't concern me.

After sanding and polishing, the frame cleaned up nicely despite its initial condition!

I started selecting the parts I'll use. I'm thinking about using mostly Deore XT, which I already have plenty on hand. I'll still have to look for some parts, such as a front derailleur (all the ones I got have a 28.6 mm clamp instead of the 31.8 mm needed), a Deore XT U-Brake as well as some nice parts to complement this build.

I'm still unsure about the fork replacement, I'll have to think about it.

20240421_185027.jpg

20240511_172225.jpg
20240511_172304.jpg

I’m still very undecisive about the fork I’ll use on this build…

I have a Syncros Powerlite that could have been perfect, but the steerer is a bit too short… and of course, the Rockshox Magnesium that came with the bike has the same problem (weirdly).

The only fork I currently have on hand that could work is this nice Manitou Answer EFC I recently rebuilt. The decals are a bit faded, but it is in good condition otherwise.

20240525_150144.jpg

It would not be period correct since it’s from 1995/1996, but could live with that. I like the look of it, and the fact it was made in the USA like the Zaskar is a nice touch! The thing is, it has 3” of travel and a 430mm axle to crown length, significantly more than the 400-405mm axle to crown length of the Rockshox. Since the rule of thumb is no more or less than 20mm when swapping a fork, I’m worried it will affect the geometry in a bad way…

Does anybody have any experience with using a longer fork on an early Zaskar / any other early 90s frame? Am I worrying for nothing or would it be best to try to find something else?

I wouldn't worry about the length of the fork, I bet loads of Zaskars have had longer travel forks.

I’m still very undecisive about the fork I’ll use on this build…

I have a Syncros Powerlite that could have been perfect, but the steerer is a bit too short… and of course, the Rockshox Magnesium that came with the bike has the same problem (weirdly).

The only fork I currently have on hand that could work is this nice Manitou Answer EFC I recently rebuilt. The decals are a bit faded, but it is in good condition otherwise.

It would not be period correct since it’s from 1995/1996, but could live with that. I like the look of it, and the fact it was made in the USA like the Zaskar is a nice touch! The thing is, it has 3” of travel and a 430mm axle to crown length, significantly more than the 400-405mm axle to crown length of the Rockshox. Since the rule of thumb is no more or less than 20mm when swapping a fork, I’m worried it will affect the geometry in a bad way…

Does anybody have any experience with using a longer fork on an early Zaskar / any other early 90s frame? Am I worrying for nothing or would it be best to try to find something else?

i used a sid xc [80mm travel as well] on my 91 zaskar and it felt great.

Since I'll use the Manitou Answer EFC, here's a summary of the restoration process!

These forks were in poor condition at first, like the Zaskar. Judging by the rust, the faded logo / anodized parts, and the condition of the bike that they were attached to, they probably have spent years outside subjected to the elements. The barely moved and needed a lot of force to compress.

20240519_175629.jpg

20240519_175635.jpg
20240519_175638.jpg

A few seized bolts aside, the disassembly went well. The stage 1 elastomers held up well, but the same cannot be said for the stage 2 and 3 elastomers... Especially the black one, which melted and went everywhere in the fork. Let's just say that cleaning that up was not a fun part of this restoration...

20240519_183212.jpg
I wasn't too keen on spending near 100 CAD$ on a replacement elastomer kit since I only needed some of them (stages 2 & 3). I'm not sure how that will go, but instead, I used rubber bushings normally used with skateboard wheels (I used them to repair old Flexstems in the past, so I had some leftovers). I drilled the center hole to the same diameter as the plastic leg. I don’t expect incredible performances; they are more of a homemade stopper in case I bottom the forks.

20240520_091558.jpg

20240524_183005.jpg
20240524_183239.jpg

I also spent a few minutes trying to figure out where this metal cap was on the exploded diagram of the fork before realizing that it's not supposed to come off the stanchion! I had to epoxy it back in place.

20240520_091750.jpg

The oil cartridge appears to work well, so I left it alone.

20240524_185550.jpg

The serviced fork work way better and look great!

20240525_150147.jpg

I abandoned the idea of a catalog spec. build when I decided to use the Manitou Answer EFC forks. Instead, my plan is now to do a “decade correct” build (if that makes sense), focusing on using cool early / mid-90s parts.

Recently, I bough a 40$ "mystery" bike. The aluminum frame appears to be a quality one, but the decals are removed and the parts are mismatched. I've got no idea what it is! However, the real interesting thing about this bike is the red anodized Race Face I-Beam that came with it. That’s what I’ll use instead of the Deore XT cranks I was planning on installing. I recon these will fit perfectly with the red forks!

20240609_191549.jpg

I’ve just got a 91 Zaskar too.
Mines built up from new with Suntour..
I’m in the process of a full strip down and clean up too. Also, I’m unsure on what fork to go for ? The Pace fork is going as I’ve never liked the look of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 11
I abandoned the idea of a catalog spec. build when I decided to use the Manitou Answer EFC forks. Instead, my plan is now to do a “decade correct” build (if that makes sense), focusing on using cool early / mid-90s parts.

Recently, I bough a 40$ "mystery" bike. The aluminum frame appears to be a quality one, but the decals are removed and the parts are mismatched. I've got no idea what it is! However, the real interesting thing about this bike is the red anodized Race Face I-Beam that came with it. That’s what I’ll use instead of the Deore XT cranks I was planning on installing. I recon these will fit perfectly with the red forks!

View attachment 858559
It is undoubtedly a good purchase! Congratulations.
How I like them. Curiously, I also valued them for mine.

Back