1990 Muddy Fox Courier Comp

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, bike number 3 from here, you lot are a bad influence!

Anyway, saw this going for what I thought was a bargain and was rather taken by the colour and coolness of it - I had to have it :cool:. So, Tuesday 19 March 2013, I had a parcel arrive for me :)

8580440445_1f0cc74d82_z.jpg

(its the one on the right, the other box is a whole other story :facepalm:)

I eagerly cracked into the box and loosely assembled the lime green machine that waited within.

8580441885_d5d3417037_z.jpg

8580442771_ae0c4f3462_z.jpg

8580441199_e13a215ca7_z.jpg

Virtually everything is original on it. The tyres, the cables, brake blocks etc are all the original ones. The cables though are rusted to pieces so they have had to go. I will be replacing them with matching original Shimano cables. I think I will be replacing the brake blocks with newer ones too as they are rock solid. Other than that, a damn good strip down, re-grease and clean is underway.

8580475461_bedb72a318_z.jpg

The seatpost does not want to go in without a fight though and has some savage scarring where it was removed to show for it. Sadly, the scratches have masked the info on the side of it so I have no idea what size post it is - if anyone can tell me what size post this frame takes, that would be excellent! I think it says 25.something but I can't be sure. Anyway, I am going to sand the post down and remove the lions share of the marks but may end up replacing it. Front mech cleared up just fine:

8581578360_26929ae5cf_z.jpg

The cranks were pretty well oxidised as you would expect after 23 years! So, figured I would give them a polish up. It is an Exage 400LX chainset which was never 'mirror finish' shiny, so went up to a 320 grit paper and then buffed the bejesus out of them with the dremel and autosol. I take my hat off to people that achieve mirror finishes on cranks by hand, this took long enough!!

8581600002_7e030ddca7_z.jpg

8580498451_f23eeb4200_z.jpg

Non-drive side virtually done:

8581601612_9072833b4f_z.jpg

I have photos of the two polished so far, but the camera just doesn't really pick it up and makes them look grubby, but you get the idea. Going to give them one last polish by hand and then go over them with the dremel and a clean polishing wheel to finish.

For now, that's about it. Next will be to give the frame and forks a good wash and t-cut. I am not quite sure what to do about the few rust spots that are on there. Thinking take the rust out somehow and then cover with helitape.

Thoughts and advice always appreciated. More updates coming soon, especially as I am signed off work until early march so have a bit of spare time to be cleaning bits!

Cool mate. Will be even better once its had the clean up and polish. Will follow what happens with this.

I picked one of these up last weekend from e bay. Mines an 18" frame and is in really nice nick for its age. One owner from new and kept in a garage all it's life. All original bits inc tyres and saddle. I hope to gets some snaps and post up this weekend.

Would love to find an old muddy fox rear wheel disc for mine. Anybody got one?

Cheers! I have fairly high hopes for how this will turn out. I am going to try and buff the wheels up pretty shiny too. The rate I am adding levels of restoration to the list, this could end up BoTM worthy, lol!

Get a build thread up for yours mate, show us what you got :cool:

Also, if you find a rear wheel board, see if they have a spare for me! Secondly, I dont suppose you could have a shifty at what seatpost size these take too please? Thanks!

Will post up soon, just need to find a minute :)

Just measured my seatpost with my verniers and they are showing 26.2mm.

Thank you gents, very helpful. Lets see how the current post polishes up and if its rubbish, I know what size replacement to get.

Now, need to finish polishing the cranks up first!

Lovely Comp that.. if you rode one of those around my way BITD you were considered to be a cool dude :cool:

I've got a same yr Courier Mega and I've just picked up another off the bay for 40 quid :shock: .. IMO these old Foxes are a fantastic way of getting a cheap retro-fix.

Back