1990 Kona Titanium - FINISHED PAGE 13

Re: 1990 Kona Titanium - Merlin Mountain content

you could always have a set of decals made to replicate the ones you are removing, and satisfy your passion for the TBG merlin with those decals too, if it did prove to have the headbadge etc.

Attachments

• TBG graphics..jpg
    TBG graphics..jpg
    46 KB · Views: 932

Mine has all the original Merlin decals pretty much intact bar a few scuffs here and there so I think they will all stay as they are in the catalogue pics and I'd rather not replace them with replicas. I would be happy to replace the headbadge decal with TBG one if it proves to be correct. So you've seen the actual bike then Carl? I was chatting to a mate the other day and he thought that we had seen the bike at the Cheddar Challenge in 1990. My memory is a bit hazy and don't recall it although I do remember having a ride on the Hei Hei at the Malverns (I think) in 1991. If you can find the pics that would be great :D

Ah sorry, I didn't mean remove originals unless you did choose for example to remove any merlin headbadge currently inplace and replace with Tbg, having replicated the Original Merlin first, so it could always be restored to how you found it.

The SLS chap brought one to Barrettos at the time, I cant honestly say though that the model was brought here for retail, or it it were ever more than on loan as a selling tool for the range im afraid, I wasn't privy to that much info.

I can honestly say i hate you for owning that fork (not really but had to impress my feelings when i saw the pic)...go on!

Mo

mauricer":365zvy5u said:
I can honestly say i hate you for owning that fork (not really but had to impress my feelings when i saw the pic)...go on!

Mo

Sorry Mo ;)

Since it used a standard Merlin Mountain frame, I decided that I had to make it as close to the catalogue picture as possible in order for it to be a Kona Titanium. If I started swapping out bits here and there then it would soon turn into another Merlin Mountain build which was not the aim.

The frame came with the correct 105 headset for the build so the next thing I set my sights on were the Track 2 Forks. I knew this wouldn't be an easy find and was gutted to miss out on a set at a good price in the FS section by literally a minute. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I separated some splatter painted Track 2's from the loving headtube of their 1990 Explosif frame for this build after another ebay auction win. The Karma Gods will need appeasing at some stage :oops:

Decals photographed and measured for Gil's reproduction. Decal placement measured for affixing new before the forks go off for repainting. New decals in a kind of fuchsia rather than the more common yellow, to match the catalogue image.

osx6.jpg

o56n.jpg

Forks back from painting. Quite a thick powdercoat but the coverage is good and even.

dbfe.jpg

twxc.jpg

So exciting thread… :cool:
I can't wait more for seing pictures… :D

Just for waiting, the Murray's Merlin…

Perfect 24 !!
I missed half of this report.
I sit and grab popcorn pot. :cool:
a very rare frame to see.

24pouces":1veyma38 said:
So exciting thread… :cool:
I can't wait more for seing pictures… :D

Just for waiting, the Murray's Merlin…

Thanks Pierre. Joe Murray's Merlin and the one from the 1990 Merlin catalogue were my other two options but I decided on the Kona catalogue model in the end :D

Currently the forks are getting the threads extended further down the steerer to suit the Merlin's head tube.

I'm taking a seat to! Looong time I haven't seen this!!!
Still with the appetizers, definitely waiting for how the main course is gonna be prepared.
Just drooling

Great find

Back