1990 Kona Explosif - restoring the love of my biking life

I am going to use the old chainrings as they are in good condition and cleaned up ok...but the cranks and BB are NOS. I quite lk the thought that at least a few of the components show the bike has lived a life for the last 3 decades... Parts finished by Martin Hills

The wheels are the main break from the original spec - I hated the original Arayas (made of cheese), and couldn't find a set anyway. In 1991 I replaced them with Campag Thorrs...again, a fruitless search - couldn't find them - so I opted for ATeks instead...which at least give me the original colour and the grpahics match teh frame nicely. Tyres are annoying - the only Konas out there are from later years with incorrect graphics, or knackered and super pricey! So the original Maximum and Reaction are not present - so I have gone for a Smoke/ Dart combo for now. Anyone who wants to offer me some early Kona tyres is likely to get their hand bitten off though... Parts finished by Martin Hills

Singletrack74":1gzvfosj said:
The wheels are the main break from the original spec - I hated the original Arayas (made of cheese), and couldn't find a set anyway.

The rims were Ukai on the original and the groupset was mainly XC Comp, and the headset was a Hatta ;)

Looking forward to seeing it together, have you sorted the graphics yet?

Mark

I meant Ukai of course - I always seem to get the word Araya in my head for some reason. I actually have a Ukai in the garage right now, in fact...

However, back in 1990 my Explosif came out of the box with full XC Pro greaseguard - the shop checked and discovered that this was being done when XC Comp was out of stock to keep dealers supplied with ther orders - so I got very, very lucky I guess back then!

You are right about the Impact not being original spec though - this was something I fitted when the original one died (after about 5 minutes) and were originally available with nice graphics that matched the original simple yellow Velocity stem graphic so looked awesome. Utter piece of garbage as a headset though as came loose multiple times on every ride, and would eventually crack on the allen key pinch bolt...

Still waiting on graphics - it's been very hard to get things matched both colour and size-wise...

Also, I have had the Velocity stem (which was buggered, but has the internal routing, so was desperate to keep) stripped, repainted and clear coated. I had that back about a month agpo, but I have been trying to work out graphics colours and edits with Gil_M for what must seem to him to be a lifetime - he must thinnk I am a pain in the ass! But graphics arrived this week - and the stem looks like new now :D

Stem restoration by Martin Hills, on Flickr

This weekend was spent, hairdryer in hand, trying to get my technique dialled removing the 29 year old graphics - some of which (I am looking at *you* , top tube b@stard) REALLY did not want to come off.

Graphics removal by Martin Hills, on Flickr

Graphics removal by Martin Hills, on Flickr

Unfortunately, despite mostly good paint some of the graphics were tatty. And as they had faded a bit it was an all-in job as the colours would have clashed. The new ones are possibly a touch "hot" looking, but we managed to get them pretty close, and now they are all changed they don't stand out too much.

IMG_1441 by Martin Hills, on Flickr

I am leaving the TBG headtube sticker (as Gil didn't have quite the right version and it's not too tatty), and also the "Designed by Joe Murray" graphics on the top tube were in a different text - and I have a vague memory that maybe that is actually in Joe's handwriting? I didn't want to lose the heritage and historical importance of any of those decals - and I like the idea of their authenticity. :cool:

So, this is where I am at now:

IMG_1443 by Martin Hills, on Flickr

I am getting suddenly very excited; it's no longer a concept, it's becoming a bike again :D

As you can see, I need to splatter the graphics (any tips and hints welcome on technique) - and then Gil has suggested clear coating teh lot. I am reading various opinions on this, but I am tempted to do it to give it a nice glossy finish like it had back in the day. Any thoughts?

Once that is done I can finally build it up and hopefully ride it at least once before I go away for the guiding season!!!

I think it may have been mentioned before but try a message to spanky22b (Chris) on here. He’s done splatter painting to exactly the same bike so may be able to give you colour codes, as well as some tips.

Great job so far mate :cool:

raidan73":y3kjc8rw said:
I think it may have been mentioned before but try a message to spanky22b (Chris) on here.

Cheers, I have dropped him a line - aswell as a couple of other people; hopefully they’ll provide some sage wisdom! I’m using this thread to record my whole build, so it might be helpful to others doing something similar in future hopefully :)

Back