1990 Fire Mountain questions

Haha my fingers are more arthritic than Popeye, I'd love to find some original levers. Guessing they are similar to the 200gs kit on my Muir Woods?
Get what you mean about cable lengths makes sense. At the minute the fronts are set so the springs are really strong which gives a horrible feeling when you pull them.
While I clean it I will look for the bits. Hopefully some will come up! Anybody know any bikes that used the same setup?
Just cleaning the rear brake, I have no idea how to set it up. Hope there is a video somewhere!

Does anyone have a close up image of the brake levers so i know what m looking for?? I have no idea do they have shifter mounts on them or not. The archive says they should be Exage 300 lx W/Sti

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/Gruppen.html#90mtb doesn't list push-button STI shifters like yours with 300LX, but ST-M050 levers seem likely (plastic unfortunately, so a prime candidate for an upgrade). The rear U-brake is higher up the range than 300LX too, and has to be original because the bosses on the frame are in a different place from where they would be for regular cantis - looks like BR-M453 or similar. Search for the Shimano part numbers and you should be able to find a scan of a service manual.

In the 91 era it list bl m250 c. For 300 LX exage kit. Tried eBay all I got was gs100 set.
I'm quite a novice at the equipment what would be an upgrade for such a set up? One thing for sure it's not the v brake ones currently fitted!

DiaComp SS5 or SS7 are typical upgrade for the time.
Or of course any other Shimano brake from that era.
In other words, you can use any Cantilever brake.

Im confused looking through images now. Should my STI shifters be mounted to the brake levers or have there own mounting bracket? Mine currently have there own mounting, Ive seen so many different types now o_O

They are whichever they are

Integrated or separate.

If your have their own mounting, it easier to find some brakes.
But you don't have to use those shifters, any 7speed capable shifters will do, so you can by an integrated set.

Have a look in the Archive under Shimano, you can see all the types they made.

Have a look at some bike catalogues too see what they fitted.

My fingers are buggered too, modern RapidFire shifter will be much better for you, a few years late STX or I find high end or Sachs 'GripShift good too.

It depends how era correct you wish to keep it.

I'd like to keep it close to original until my wife has had a go on it. If it suits her better then she can have it. If not il move it on. I've always wanted a Kona but needs to be one I can use! I looked through that Shimano list it's really helpful cheers it's just finding anything. Just wondered what the original was as so many different pics. Gives me something to research and keep the brain ticking!

Back