199? brodie sovereign

Apparition_Cycles

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I have the chance to buy my long time dream bike's frame. It's a pre-1994 Brodie Sovereign. Not sure which year (looks like a 1993).
A little big for me (I'm 5' 9-1/2") ...but should be fine since I plan on riding it with a short stem and a rigid fork (not a Gator blade for now, for $ reasons).

The seller is kind enough to let me think about the price that I want to offer and also to ship it a few km's away. He's also ok with parting the bike prior to shipping and keeping what I don't need, so I'm very lucky here. I will only ask for the crankset and the frame.

The frame has some issues though (I'm not THE luckiest guy on earth). Repair needed on the anti-chainsuck fixture, a dent and corrosion are the downsides. But I could have all that repaired in the way Paul Brodie's doing it and then repainted by Marinoni's shop, some day...

What do you guys think this frame is worth ? Price will be in CAD (I'm in Qc and the bike is in BC).

Many thanks !

A

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 06.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

I can't help with an idea of price but ... given you will be committing to repairs and repainting, would it be better to hold out for one that is exactly your size? Obviously, if you are confident it is close enough and if they are so hard to come by that you might be waiting years it might make more sense to get (and rescue) this one, especially if it's a bargain. Just a consideration based on putting energy into frames that were a little too small for me 😅

Hi All,

I have the chance to buy my long time dream bike's frame. It's a pre-1994 Brodie Sovereign. Not sure which year (looks like a 1993).
A little big for me (I'm 5' 9-1/2") ...but should be fine since I plan on riding it with a short stem and a rigid fork (not a Gator blade for now, for $ reasons).

The seller is kind enough to let me think about the price that I want to offer and also to ship it a few km's away. He's also ok with parting the bike prior to shipping and keeping what I don't need, so I'm very lucky here. I will only ask for the crankset and the frame.

The frame has some issues though (I'm not THE luckiest guy on earth). Repair needed on the anti-chainsuck fixture, a dent and corrosion are the downsides. But I could have all that repaired in the way Paul Brodie's doing it and then repainted by Marinoni's shop, some day...

What do you guys think this frame is worth ? Price will be in CAD (I'm in Qc and the bike is in BC).

Many thanks !

A

View attachment 537771View attachment 537770View attachment 537769View attachment 537768View attachment 537766View attachment 537764View attachment 537763View attachment 537762View attachment 537761
No idea on price , However I would research the cost of the repairs and repaint first and then see whether it's even worth considering buying it it's current condition.

Thank you for your interventions! I guess the price will depend on wether or not there's rot visible from the bottom bracket area. I'll see that with the seller.

hi
this is no dream bike. based off that serial number i'd have to say it is a post paul
production bike. anything after #416* ish was after he sold the company. paul had
very little to do with making this frame. if anything. so right there not worth putting
dollars into it for repairs. not collectable. in collector's eyes not a true `brodie'. :)
this is all just my opinion of course.

hi
this is no dream bike. based off that serial number i'd have to say it is a post paul
production bike. anything after #416* ish was after he sold the company. paul had
very little to do with making this frame. if anything. so right there not worth putting
dollars into it for repairs. not collectable. in collector's eyes not a true `brodie'. :)
this is all just my opinion of course.

interesting, thanks Retro_Roy ! I'll have a look at the history you're referring to... 🕵️‍♂️

I saw Paul’s comment re the 1 prefix on this s/n - so it’s January 1994.
If that were in my size and here in the UK I’d not pay £100, even assuming the dent can be rolled out and the anti-chain suck mount coming away is no more than a simple fix

Thanks Raidan! Well... That is less than I expected (and I'm the one buying)!
I have a partially handmade Ritchey that I paid 350 $ CAD for the frame and fork... Maybe I jut don't get it.

Hi all,

Well after about a year-long wait I finally got the frame and ended up paying more than everybody told me to. I guess it's me that has got a problem with the value of things in this capitalist system. Actually, I value the work and I respect the time and intelligence invested. To me craftsmanship is something that has nothing to do with fetishism or the exchange value. I'll have to develop on that someday.

A Brodie Sovereign has been my dream bike for a long time. Never thought I could ride that though. Identifying the serial was quite a saga. I will write the entire history behind that when I have more time. It implies Paul Brodie and Bruce Spicer who helped me navigate through serial numbers and some particularities of the frame. Awesome people. Paul finally went through his papers and found that the frame was build Jan 94.

So after a long wait I got the frame. There's a lesson about patience and confidence plus another story about nice chaps to be told here. And then I found a fork which I received today.

This one is in a very nice condition, but is older and 1" threaded while the frame is for a 1-1/8 stem. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to trade the fork for a 1-1/8 one but I'm hesitant about a thing. At first I was pretty sure I would use one of the threadless stems that I have. But now I doubting.

Any idea ? I would like the bike to be period correct. I understand that 1994 was a transition period. I myself was riding a poor Norco Bigfoot with a Quadra back then. I was young but pretty fast. I had a long quill stem. I now have back pain and a will to ride rigid. I guess a short period correct 1-1/8 quill stem will be hard to find.

Anyway, if someone is willing to tell me about something I don't see as of right now or simply brilliantly change my mind that would be cool. Maybe I'm just spending too much time on this. Mais t'sais... (but hey !), like we say in Québec...

peace!

Attachments

• IMG_8289.jpeg
    IMG_8289.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8567.jpeg
    IMG_8567.jpeg
    671.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8572.jpeg
    IMG_8572.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 24
Looking forward to hearing the serial number story. Always interested in learning something new.
Sorry if i almost steered you wrong on this one. How about using reducer cups and keeping the fork.
That fork is way cooler that later ones.

Back