199? brodie sovereign

Apparition_Cycles

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I have the chance to buy my long time dream bike's frame. It's a pre-1994 Brodie Sovereign. Not sure which year (looks like a 1993).
A little big for me (I'm 5' 9-1/2") ...but should be fine since I plan on riding it with a short stem and a rigid fork (not a Gator blade for now, for $ reasons).

The seller is kind enough to let me think about the price that I want to offer and also to ship it a few km's away. He's also ok with parting the bike prior to shipping and keeping what I don't need, so I'm very lucky here. I will only ask for the crankset and the frame.

The frame has some issues though (I'm not THE luckiest guy on earth). Repair needed on the anti-chainsuck fixture, a dent and corrosion are the downsides. But I could have all that repaired in the way Paul Brodie's doing it and then repainted by Marinoni's shop, some day...

What do you guys think this frame is worth ? Price will be in CAD (I'm in Qc and the bike is in BC).

Many thanks !

A

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg06.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I can't help with an idea of price but ... given you will be committing to repairs and repainting, would it be better to hold out for one that is exactly your size? Obviously, if you are confident it is close enough and if they are so hard to come by that you might be waiting years it might make more sense to get (and rescue) this one, especially if it's a bargain. Just a consideration based on putting energy into frames that were a little too small for me 😅

dan73uk

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I have the chance to buy my long time dream bike's frame. It's a pre-1994 Brodie Sovereign. Not sure which year (looks like a 1993).
A little big for me (I'm 5' 9-1/2") ...but should be fine since I plan on riding it with a short stem and a rigid fork (not a Gator blade for now, for $ reasons).

The seller is kind enough to let me think about the price that I want to offer and also to ship it a few km's away. He's also ok with parting the bike prior to shipping and keeping what I don't need, so I'm very lucky here. I will only ask for the crankset and the frame.

The frame has some issues though (I'm not THE luckiest guy on earth). Repair needed on the anti-chainsuck fixture, a dent and corrosion are the downsides. But I could have all that repaired in the way Paul Brodie's doing it and then repainted by Marinoni's shop, some day...

What do you guys think this frame is worth ? Price will be in CAD (I'm in Qc and the bike is in BC).

Many thanks !

A

View attachment 537771View attachment 537770View attachment 537769View attachment 537768View attachment 537766View attachment 537764View attachment 537763View attachment 537762View attachment 537761
No idea on price , However I would research the cost of the repairs and repaint first and then see whether it's even worth considering buying it it's current condition.

Apparition_Cycles

Dirt Disciple
Thank you for your interventions! I guess the price will depend on wether or not there's rot visible from the bottom bracket area. I'll see that with the seller.

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi
this is no dream bike. based off that serial number i'd have to say it is a post paul
production bike. anything after #416* ish was after he sold the company. paul had
very little to do with making this frame. if anything. so right there not worth putting
dollars into it for repairs. not collectable. in collector's eyes not a true `brodie'. :)
this is all just my opinion of course.

Apparition_Cycles

Dirt Disciple
hi
this is no dream bike. based off that serial number i'd have to say it is a post paul
production bike. anything after #416* ish was after he sold the company. paul had
very little to do with making this frame. if anything. so right there not worth putting
dollars into it for repairs. not collectable. in collector's eyes not a true `brodie'. :)
this is all just my opinion of course.

interesting, thanks Retro_Roy ! I'll have a look at the history you're referring to... 🕵️‍♂️

raidan73

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I saw Paul’s comment re the 1 prefix on this s/n - so it’s January 1994.
If that were in my size and here in the UK I’d not pay £100, even assuming the dent can be rolled out and the anti-chain suck mount coming away is no more than a simple fix

Apparition_Cycles

Dirt Disciple
Thanks Raidan! Well... That is less than I expected (and I'm the one buying)!
I have a partially handmade Ritchey that I paid 350 $ CAD for the frame and fork... Maybe I jut don't get it.