1989 Yeti C-26 Tribute Bike

Re: Re:

uno-speedo":530uevyw said:

I appreciate that and it’s the primary reason I couldn’t pull the trigger on your a la carte a few months back. :facepalm: My bike budget is blown for the rest of the year I’m afraid.

The little Salsa is still in my top three as far as XC riding goes. Ashley had me swap my SPDs with some XT platforms so she could “inherit” mine. It’s a smaller frame, she likes the drop bar setup and is getting pretty good with her shifting. Looking forward to fall and taking her on her first trip to Tsali!

Smithjss70":t8q7blf5 said:
I've been working on this bike one for a few years but never started a build thread. The project commenced when some CF tubes became available, so I commissioned two talented Swiss gents to build the frame. Thanks Stefan & Reto for all of your efforts.

It started with a 89' FRO which was the hardest part of the commitment. It was a good frame, so I was pretty reluctant. :facepalm: Fortunately, I have a nice 88' FRO so it helped to soften the blow somewhat.

jAbP6P.jpg

YJ2SqR.jpg

And so it began...

Junction shot
cBgyZO.jpg

Fresh off the mill
teO9uY.jpg

Original brazed guides from the FRO
ghTT3x.jpg

I have some cool videos of the mfg process but I'm not sure how to upload them...

Back from powder and the unnerving fit test
qwluPi.jpg

I asked Reto to mill some OG Bullseye FD pulleys while I had his shop time and expertise
jORLQW.jpg

OG red
hTivQo.jpg

I had most of the parts collected with the exception of the TDD. I was fortunate to find an unbuilt disk in Canada so I had Steve Gravenites (Gravy) build it up to a black RM20 via a black M732 hub. https://mbaction.com/inside-the-toolbox ... -mechanic/
It turned out perfect and the noise is quite gratifying.

Mwe76L.jpg

QDthkb.jpg

JUSKkR.jpg

Up front, I went with a purple Bullseye also laced to a black RM20.
11fm3v.jpg

Since the frame was going to be repowdered, I had my parts coated by Ollie @ Dark Matter. He is a magician and intimately familiar with Yetis. He painted for Spectrum when they were painting Yeti frames.
aYhBup.jpg

Love the lithium
VtVh4Q.jpg

Most difficult piece to the puzzle. Come on Chris...run some more of these fine HSs :?
D4Yers.jpg

Drivetrain is as you would expect. XT M730/732

I think most of the decals are OG with the exception being Bullseye & Accu-Trax, which came from our friend Gil.

I can't think of anything else worth mentioning but happy to answer any questions that arise. Here she is though, all finished up. It was a three year project but a lot of fun. Like Wilk told me, it's kind of sad when you finish. He built his 11 years ago which seems crazy to say. I remember like it was yesterday as it was always the bike that gave me goose bumps. :D

30 years later. 1989 Yeti C-26 "Tribute" Bike...or replica if you must...

qh1UjU.jpg

dq3qXh.jpg

cc4NKx.jpg

TfLBgR.jpg

jAGY1Z.jpg

Family shot
YOU3Vv.jpg

My ass would have been twitching cutting up the Fro, but i stand with you, the vision, the bravery, the workmanship, the detail, the end result. All worth while.

Bravo my friend. Just excellent.

Smithjss70":b8hn4ndy said:
Thank you amigo. I appreciate your kind words and support. It was a lot of fun!

Its a pleasure mate, i would love to know in all the excitement, (cus i would have forgot) did you think to weigh the Fro and then the C-26, i would love to know if it really made much difference..?

And for all the Nah Sayers, given the few original bikes were so fragile, i think using new tubes and modern bonding material would be the only way to enjoy feeling like Tomac every time you ride it..!

And i would So have to ride it..... :cool:

(only i would have to swop out the tires, cus ruining those would be a sacrilege.)

Yup.....got to be ridden, just like a Ferrari 250GTO needs to be raced....and I'd probably use the tires.

sinnerman":srruxkuw said:
Smithjss70":srruxkuw said:
Thank you amigo. I appreciate your kind words and support. It was a lot of fun!

Its a pleasure mate, i would love to know in all the excitement, (cus i would have forgot) did you think to weigh the Fro and then the C-26, i would love to know if it really made much difference..?

And for all the Nah Sayers, given the few original bikes were so fragile, i think using new tubes and modern bonding material would be the only way to enjoy feeling like Tomac every time you ride it..!

And i would So have to ride it..... :cool:

:LOL: You know, I did not Carl. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me, but alas, it did not. I have an 88' FRO however in the same size with the same XT build, sans the disk. I will say that this bike is heavy. Like, really heavy. Probably approaching north of 27lbs and it's a 17.5" frame. I'll weigh it at my LBS the next time I'm through. He builds some weight weenie roadies and has a good setup for such.

You will probably be interested in this. While I had access to the CF tubes, I connected with Wilk, Herting and Yodice to get the measurements for the CF Accu-Trax that Chris built for Mike. I had an extra fork so I'm having one built for posterity and to accompany the bike. I think between Mike, Martin, Paul, Chris, Robert and Frank, we seem to know of three or four in the wild. They were "land mines" to ride and I know of one that imploded on a bench test at the CA shop. :LOL:

q024pF.jpg

cNWepW.jpg

Pics from Herting

6HV79Z.jpg

Aluminum inserts

g9Kbqk.jpg

With C9 tubes

WxC5MF.jpg

My fork, ready for brazing

Tiu3Ks.jpg

It's getting powder coated now so I'll upload some pics when I get it back. Gil already sent some fresh decals so I look forward to wrapping this one up.

Latest posts

Back