1989 Yeti C-26 Tribute Bike

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been working on this bike for a few years but never started a build thread. The project commenced when some CF tubes became available, so I commissioned two talented Swiss gents to build the frame. Thanks Stefan & Reto for all of your efforts.

It started with a 89' FRO which was the hardest part of the commitment. It was a good frame, so I was pretty reluctant. 🤦 Fortunately, I have a nice 88' FRO so it helped to soften the blow somewhat.

jAbP6P.jpg

YJ2SqR.jpg

And so it began...

Junction shot
cBgyZO.jpg

Fresh off the mill
teO9uY.jpg

Original brazed guides from the FRO
ghTT3x.jpg

I have some cool videos of the mfg process but I'm not sure how to upload them...

Back from powder and the unnerving fit test
qwluPi.jpg

I asked Reto to mill some OG Bullseye FD pulleys while I had his shop time and expertise
jORLQW.jpg

OG red
hTivQo.jpg

I had most of the parts collected with the exception of the TDD. I was fortunate to find an unbuilt disk in Canada so I had Steve Gravenites (Gravy) build it up to a black RM20 via a black M732 hub. https://mbaction.com/inside-the-toolbox ... -mechanic/
It turned out perfect and the noise is quite gratifying.

Mwe76L.jpg

QDthkb.jpg

JUSKkR.jpg

Up front, I went with a purple Bullseye also laced to a black RM20.
11fm3v.jpg

Since the frame was going to be repowdered, I had my parts coated by Ollie @ Dark Matter. He is a magician and intimately familiar with Yetis. He painted for Spectrum when they were painting Yeti frames.
aYhBup.jpg

Love the lithium
VtVh4Q.jpg

Most difficult piece to the puzzle. Come on Chris...run some more of these fine HSs :?
D4Yers.jpg

Drivetrain is as you would expect. XT M730/732

I think most of the decals are OG with the exception being Bullseye & Accu-Trax, which came from our friend Gil.

I can't think of anything else worth mentioning but happy to answer any questions that arise. Here she is though, all finished up. It was a three year project but a lot of fun. Like Wilk told me, it's kind of sad when you finish. He built his 11 years ago which seems crazy to say. I remember like it was yesterday as it was always the bike that gave me goose bumps. :D

30 years later. 1989 Yeti C-26 "Tribute" Bike...or replica if you must...

qh1UjU.jpg

dq3qXh.jpg

cc4NKx.jpg

TfLBgR.jpg

jAGY1Z.jpg

Family shot
YOU3Vv.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

:shock:

Boom! Just like that, out of the blue (or should I say desert turquoise) comes..

.. a C26

Looks awesome, almost too colorful :cool: :LOL:
Cool to see the conversion of the original top tube to the round junction to accommodate the carbon top tube.

So, you're actually riding it?
Great line-up in the last pic, BTW!

Chapeau :D

Re:

Great back story to a fantastic bike!
-1 FRO
+1 C26
I don't think any one can be too sad with that outcome.
(Maybe it's unofficial name should be the "Yeti CRO" ;) ).

WOW!!
You built an outstanding and truly awesome iconic mountain-bike!
Your attention to even the smallest detail is remarkable.
The bike looks superb: The parts, the colors, it's overall appearance-
Congratulations to this master-piece!! A+++

Re:

Jase that’s so So nice... and what a collection you now have

I believe there’s another one being built here in the UK

Really nice job.
Videos of the work would be awesome, are they on YouTube?
How does it ride?

Back