1989 Saracen Traverse

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
It's pretty rare that anything retro is a 10 minute walk from my house, but today that changed... a mere £30 later and I am the proud owner of this '89 Traverse. I certainly didn't need it, but it would have been rude not to, especially as moving on the Kili I owned had left a bit of a hole in the fleet.

Here is is shortly after I picked it up. It's pretty much all original down to the original, waterlogged gel saddle (that promptly gave me a wet bum on the maiden ride) and Farmer Johns, which are still holding air! The icing on the cake is a rather nice, upgraded MT-60 black chainset, without the usual mega scuff marks.

I'm on the lookout for the correct Saracen Stem to replace the short, steep T-bone fitted. I need another set of correct Mountain LX cantis and it will more than likely go back to thumb shifters I think. Otherwise it will be a pretty much survivor type rebuild. Watch this space :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 559
Re:

Very nice, I still miss mine. :cry:

Wonder if it was a 89/90 crossover with the STI and crankset? My 89 was certainly Mountain LX through out, inc thumbies which I found strange as the lower spec Tufftrax came with Deore shifter.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3o2l8qtz said:
Very nice, I still miss mine. :cry:

Wonder if it was a 89/90 crossover with the STI and crankset? My 89 was certainly Mountain LX through out, inc thumbies which I found strange as the lower spec Tufftrax came with Deore shifter.

Thanks mate. I'm looking forward to washing it down and cracking on :D

I was also thinking 89/90 crossover, what with the STI being there. It is also wearing slightly better wheels than OEM with Deore II hubs.

The temptation is to go full Deore II (I have a potential lead on a groupset available) but I quite like the black/silver contrast with the Mountain LX. We shall see...

Re:

I have what I think is the correct stem you can have for postage, pm me if interested :)

Back