1989 Mountain LX brifters questions

jjpiotrowicz

Kona Fan
Hello guys,
I must admit I mostly worked with 90s components and have two questions related to these shifters/levers.
1. I think the answer is no, but is there any way I could mount these thumbies separately from the brake levers?
2. More importantly, do you know anything about these unusual levers? They are set up in a way that one can brake while having hands on the bar ends.
But I may want to change the handlebars so it would be useful to be able to put "normal" levers instead? Would that involve getting whole new ones or is it possible to just get that one part?
Thanks!
Jan

Attachments

• PXL_20211008_131040866.jpg
    PXL_20211008_131040866.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20211008_131050585.jpg
    PXL_20211008_131050585.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 31
The levers were a bolt in aftermarket accessory I think?

Thumbies. .. not sure but I think you are out of luck. Careful use of the grinder to remove the brake lever and slim down the bar clamp may yeild a result

I think the thumbies on these have different mounts to the later DX/xt ones but you can modify the mouts so the locating pins fit.

As the Mountain LX kit was 1 year only (1989) you might be surprised what you could sell them for. Possibly enough for some Deore thumbies and levers. Not seen those levers before. Normally Mountain LX are plastic levers.

PS is that a dent in the bar near the stem. I would be a bit wary of that.

Thanks, I am actually considering selling those and swapping them for a set of normal ones. Would like stay with thumbies if possible so I guess Deore mainly?
Yes that is a small dent, something which isn't ideal so I want to change the bars - hence the levers question.

IIRC the pins in the base of the shifter are clocked at a different angle compared to DX/XT. I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

As the Mountain LX kit was 1 year only (1989) you might be surprised what you could sell them for. Possibly enough for some Deore thumbies and levers. Not seen those levers before. Normally Mountain LX are plastic levers.

PS is that a dent in the bar near the stem. I would be a bit wary of that.

Thats a good point. I sold a pair of one year only exage trail 6spd combined for a few quid, enough for a tatty deore set anyway.

If I remember correctly the depth of the mountain LX shifter isn't the same as deore, you would need some exage mounts like on the exage trail units that were around for one year only.

Yes it looks like it would be hard to find a donor example and a bit of a shame to sacrifice a rare part. May just replace them with something else.

Back