1989 MBK Aventure - Revival thread

Coming along nicely. Have BIG soft spot late 80s fluro MBK's as my first MTB was a 1989 Hi-Tech Ranger with Mountain LX.

Agree, if you can get some fluro green cables the same colour the shapes on the seat/top tube they'll contrast nicely against the frame colours

The frame has some interesting features for one that old. The gusset (ooh) where the tube meets the head tube for example. If my Dawes had that, it might have not bent! I wonder if it was a feature on all the sizes or just the larger ones?

You have to love those colours.

The frame has some interesting features for one that old. The gusset (ooh) where the tube meets the head tube for example. If my Dawes had that, it might have not bent! I wonder if it was a feature on all the sizes or just the larger ones?

You have to love those colours.
The frame construction does seem unique, it's kind of half way between a classic lugged frame and a more modern welded frame. From a bit of searching it does seem that all the frame sizes have the gusset between the head tube and the down tube.

The frame was marketed as a touring bike and has lots of mounting points.
2 sets of eyelets on both the front and rear dropouts
Mounting holes on the seat stays for a pannier
Water bottle mounts on the down tube and seat tube
Mounting holes on the forks for front panniers

Bottom bracket arrived so have been able to get the bike assembled and ready to ride.

Looks like the derailleur hangar is not aligned very well so will have to make some adjustments there.

front-side.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5841.JPG
    DSC_5841.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_5842.JPG
    DSC_5842.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_5846.JPG
    DSC_5846.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_5847.JPG
    DSC_5847.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_5848.JPG
    DSC_5848.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_5849.JPG
    DSC_5849.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 24
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 21
  • logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 21
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 24
So I got to try it out today as the weather improved.

Turns out it's basically unrideable as is. The original 6 speed uniglide cassette and the new chain are not getting on at all, chain is constantly skipping in the smallest 3 gears. The cassette is more worn out that it appeared at first glance.

Luckily I have another Shimano hub with a 7 speed hyperglide freehub and cassette in the garage so I need to see if I can just switch out the freehub body onto this rear wheel.

Added the final touch for summer riding:
IMG_20210531_173948.jpg

Freehub body replacement went smoothly. 7 speed cassette working great with no changes to the existing drivetrain other than adjusting the limit screws and putting the shifters to friction mode.

Funny enough I just picked up the exact same bike today for a tenner, it was next to a skip on a drive. I walked pasted 5 or 6 times then I couldn't ignore it any more, it was shouting "rescue me" 😆. Mines not in quite as nick but I am missing a retro MTB in the collection. All stripped down no issues, the signs of decent spec bits! This one has a few chips in the paint and all the logos missing from the seat tube. It all seems original apart from there is a 7 speed cassette on it. I love those blue tyres I might just steel that idea 😃🙄. the last picture is as collected! IMG_20210627_173947.jpg IMG_20210627_174016.jpg IMG_20210627_130537.jpg

Back