1988 Specialized Hardrock

A few weekends ago it got properly stripped whilst trying to also keep an eye on our new addition to the family. No tools or bike bits were safe from this little cheeky monkey!
IMG_8062.JPG

Small parts after being degreased and washed in the kitchen sink
IMG_8083.JPG

Various cups/containers of gorgeousness. From L to R: Bearings being degreased. Small washed steel components enjoying a vinegar bath. Somewhere in the blue cup is a festering chain.
IMG_8093.JPG

Cranks cleaned up. No polishing will be done, just want to ensure everything is fully functioning and clean. Patina is perfection on this build. Original brake blocks have been put to little use over the years.
IMG_8084.JPG

Both hubs got stripped and rebuilt. Wheels are amazingly true with good spoke tension. Need to remove the crusty Chen Shin tyres (will 100% refit to see how they ride) so I can check the state of the rim tape and deglaze the braking surface properly.
IMG_8092.JPG

It's bikes like these that make you appreciate just how much perceptions and hierarchies in cycling—or perceptions of hierarchies—are shaped by racing. Lighter, quicker, racier = better. Then you ride a bike like this—heavier, slower, but comfier, especially for less youthful bodies—and appreciate it for its own qualities. The supposed objectivity of the high end / low end spiel evaporates because, obviously, better is relative to purpose. One bike's a bit racier, one's more relaxed, another offers an excellent compromise. They're just different. If a bike ticks boxes you want ticked, it's great for you. But racing casts a long and judgemental shadow over cycling, and bikes like this end up underappreciated as a result.

It's good to see this one getting some love and appreciation. Cool bike. I hope you enjoy it.

Enjoying this thread. Very cool bike!

The paint schemes on these 80’s Specialized are great.

Nice to see some Suntour. I find the naming conventions interesting. XCD 4050, XC 9000 etc. doesn’t roll off the tongue like DX and XT, but it’s top quality gear!

It's bikes like these that make you appreciate just how much perceptions and hierarchies in cycling—or perceptions of hierarchies—are shaped by racing. Lighter, quicker, racier = better. Then you ride a bike like this—heavier, slower, but comfier, especially for less youthful bodies—and appreciate it for its own qualities. The supposed objectivity of the high end / low end spiel evaporates because, obviously, better is relative to purpose. One bike's a bit racier, one's more relaxed, another offers an excellent compromise. They're just different. If a bike ticks boxes you want ticked, it's great for you. But racing casts a long and judgemental shadow over cycling, and bikes like this end up underappreciated as a result.

It's good to see this one getting some love and appreciation. Cool bike. I hope you enjoy it.
It was never meant to be kept as a complete bike, but I'm terrible at getting rid of stuff! ;) As it turns out it's going to come in super handy until my neck gets sorted and I'm really looking forward to riding it! 💪:cool:

Enjoying this thread. Very cool bike!

The paint schemes on these 80’s Specialized are great.

Nice to see some Suntour. I find the naming conventions interesting. XCD 4050, XC 9000 etc. doesn’t roll off the tongue like DX and XT, but it’s top quality gear!
Thanks @JCS ! Before I got my first MTB in 1989 I resprayed my Falcon(?) Harrier 10 speed racer I was (trying) to ride off-road to match the 1988 Yellow Rockhopper. Not sure how close I got it in terms of look, but I do remember looking at the 1988 Specialized catalogue during lunchtime when friends brought them and MTB magazines into school.

I guess Suntour was the first off-road groupset I was exposed to as friends were riding around on Muddy Fox Road Runners, Couriers and Explorers. I've never owned a Suntour equipped bike until now. Yes it's super basic and pretty agricultural, but I'm a big fan already! 😍:cool:

After an overnight soak in vinegar the chromed parts were treated to some scrunched up kitchen foil with a bit of thin oil. Wheelie bin workbench was put to use 'cos the garage is an absolute bombsite and there's no sunshine inside the garage!

So Before...
IMG_8114.JPG

And after... My boys old magic pants (underwear for North American readers!) were put to good use for a final polish! ;)
IMG_8115.JPG

Frame and forks were stripped (nothing was stuck! 💪) and then washed. Followed by a T-Cut, then a wax & polish. The touching up looks way better in these photos than in reality as the colour is WAY off, but it's all staying as is.
IMG_8106.JPG IMG_8094.JPG

Lovely old bike shop transfer. There's another on the down tube for good measure. Random fact: One of my old bosses of 13 years lived in Gerrards Cross... and funnily enough his name was Gerrard!!! 🤣
IMG_8095.JPG
IMG_8096.JPG
IMG_8099.JPG

Lastly an upside down view of the forks. Interesting that the brake bosses have a single hole on the right and then two holes on the left for the cantilever springs to locate.
IMG_8108.JPG

Enjoying this so far, and Danté looks right at home already

Back