1988 Specialized Hardrock

27motorhead

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not sure how this happened! Like many of us I was looking in the MTB For Sale section and came across this BIG low budget Suntour equipped machine. It was cheap and local to me (always dangerous, almost as dangerous as FREE or KARMA items!) I was after a Suntour groupset for a dirt drop build so thought I'll buy it, strip it and flip it.

I was encouraged on this journey by @Guinessisgoodforyou and @Spanky22b. Here is the evidence...
Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 14.36.52.png
When I went to collect it, I rode it and instantly fell in love with how it felt. It was like a giant cruiser. I'm only 5' 7" so to be buying a 22.5" mountain bike doesn't seem to be right, however as we all know, if we ride modern bikes our old 26" machines can feel teeny tiny.

This is how the bike got taken home. I do love our cargo bike...
IMG_3397.JPG

Fast forward to about 9 weeks ago I fell over playing football with my boy and landed on my left shoulder that caused a crazy explosive pain in my shoulder, arm and hand and I've been in pain 24/7 since. 😭 I've got inflamed discs in my neck caused from lots of trauma by countless cycling accidents and they are pressing against my nerve and giving me hell. Cycling is near impossible without constantly swearing due to pain which is why this HUGE Hardrock will hopefully become my first build to complete on here despite me stumbling across RB back in 2009. It's nice and upright so hopefully I can manage a few gentle miles out on it whilst I wait for a MRI scan.

This is a screen grab from the 1988 Specialized catalogue from the RB archive. What a great resource it is! :cool:💪
cat_spec_88.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 12.14.13.png

Last edited:
Seriously though, I love a Hardrock. They're good enough
I 100% agree! My younger self would have turned my nose up at having one as it's the cheapest/lowest spec MTB I have ever owned.

However this era of bikes are lovely to work on, as you can take everything apart actually service components. It's proper (hard)rock solid. See what I did there?! ;)

Not sure how this happened! Like many of us I was looking in the MTB For Sale section and came across this BIG low budget Suntour equipped machine. It was cheap and local to me (always dangerous, almost as dangerous as FREE or KARMA items!) I was after a Suntour groupset for a dirt drop build so thought I'll buy it, strip it and flip it.

I was encouraged on this journey by @Guinessisgoodforyou and @Spanky22b. Here is the evidence...
View attachment 851565
When I went to collect it, I rode it and instantly fell in love with how it rode. It was like a giant cruiser. I'm only 5' 7" so to be buying a 22.5" mountain bike doesn't seem to be right, however as we all know, if we ride modern bikes our old 26" machines can feel teeny tiny.

This is how the bike got taken home. I do love our cargo bike...
View attachment 851566

Fast forward to about 9 weeks away I fell over playing football with my boy and landed on my left shoulder that caused a crazy explosive pain in my shoulder, arm and hand and I've been in pain 24/7 since. 😭 I've got inflamed discs in my neck caused from lots of trauma by countless cycling accidents and they are pressing against my nerve and giving me hell. Cycling is near impossible without constantly swearing due to pain which is why this HUGE Hardrock will hopefully become my first build to complete on here despite me stumbling across RB back in 2009. It's nice and upright so hopefully I can manage a few gentle miles out on it whilst I wait for a MRI scan.

This is a screen grab from the 1988 Specialized catalogue from the RB archive. What a great resource it is! :cool:💪
View attachment 851567
View attachment 851568
That's a perfect size. I'm 5'10 and ride 60cm frames comfortably. All the size shit is bullshit, larger frames feel really great imho. Like sitting in a panzer. Also large frames look better...I'm not sure why but I can't get over how they just look better. The aesthetic of a ******* antenna seatpost doesn't work for me anymore, unless you've got a stem to match the height.

That's a perfect size. I'm 5'10 and ride 60cm frames comfortably. All the size shit is bullshit, larger frames feel really great imho. Like sitting in a panzer. Also large frames look better...I'm not sure why but I can't get over how they just look better. The aesthetic of a ******* antenna seatpost doesn't work for me anymore, unless you've got a stem to match the height.
Yep, really looking forward to riding this one. Keeping everything original to enjoy the full cruiser effect including the sofa-esq saddle, my arse is in for a right treat!

Back