1988 Rocky Mountain Avalanche

Great to see your Rocky putting the miles in Joe! I’ve been using my 1989 Blizzard as my daily commuter for four years now. 4 miles a day… so what’s that? About the same mileage as yours? Great commuters!

Great to see your Rocky putting the miles in Joe! I’ve been using my 1989 Blizzard as my daily commuter for four years now. 4 miles a day… so what’s that? About the same mileage as yours? Great commuters!
Legendary bikes! Perfect commuters because it shouldn’t be a NOS dream bike, but it shouldn’t be a turd either - we are known to enjoy riding nice bikes in these parts after all 😀

About 2,000 miles and 4 broken spokes later so time for a bit of an overhaul. Seatpost saddle clamp snapped resulting in a rather unpleasant fall, so a new one fitted. Neither the Día Compe 980, nor the Suntour XC 9000 brakes were up to much so switched to shimano mt62. Handlebars/stem were creaking horribly so went for overkill - Nitto bullmoose 😎. New-ish Oury grips too. Chain has started slipping in the smallest cogs so have new Middleburn rings/chain and cogs waiting to be put on.
IMG_4620.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg
IMG_4622.jpeg
IMG_4624.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 6
New service just finished on the RM Avalanche - had been feeling decidedly in need of some TLC.

Whole new drivetrain added and the (almost) invincible Shimano 105 had finally given up the ghost after donkey’s years of service. A CK Gripnut was practically the only option with the super low stack height. Hey-presto found a cheapish one on the Bay of Biscay. Now she’s ready for some more miles:
IMG_8505.jpeg

Back