1988/89 Carrera GT Epic

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Just wanted to post up a pic of this in the condition I bought it in today. I don’t normally do road bikes but this one caught my eye with its splatter paint and 300ex groupset (which is still complete). It looks to have not been used much, but.. it also looks to have been left outside for a good while too. It has surface rust in places and the chain is solid with the stuff but I reckon on the whole totally salvageable.
Looking forward to getting stuck in to this..
B38EC616-13C9-4FB3-A43F-AE2FB795F3D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to see a bit of love for Carrera bikes. Whilst they might be a Halfords brand they did make some good models with decent components. If they had a "cool" brand name they would be valued better.

I have a slightly later Carrera road bike tucked away awaiting a light restoration. I must bump it up the list.

Can't wait to see what yours turns out like 🙂

Thanks for all the positive comments, I managed to spend an hour or so stripping the bike down today.
Not too much drama really, especially considering all the rust. Only thing I couldn’t budge is the drive side bottom bracket bearing cup. That can stay put for now. Gave the frame a quick clean with some wd40 after the strip down.
Will give the frame a good wash and polish next.
Split the parts off the bike in to two tubs, one for cleaning/refurb and one for the bin..
CFADDD77-642F-4E6C-849C-0FBE03A34974.jpeg E039C727-AB29-4BAD-BD6B-8965C460515B.jpeg

I would spray some oil down to the BB via the bottle boss holes to work into the BB threads whilst you work on cleaning it (making sure you don't get water and soap into the frame whilst you do).

I have a frame in the same position and must uncover my bench vice to hold the BB tool whilst I use the frame as a lever to undo it. It's the best way I have found with my limited resources to get troublesome ones to shift.

I would spray some oil down to the BB via the bottle boss holes to work into the BB threads whilst you work on cleaning it (making sure you don't get water and soap into the frame whilst you do).

I have a frame in the same position and must uncover my bench vice to hold the BB tool whilst I use the frame as a lever to undo it. It's the best way I have found with my limited resources to get troublesome ones to shift.
Thanks for the advice - I’ll give that a try. ;)

Very nice. Have been looking for a Carrera to show up my way for some time. I love the nutty 90s paint jobs they put on them

Back