1988/89 Carrera GT Epic

Just don't go too caveman on it. If it isn't budging with reasonable force, pause apply more oil and wait. Better off taking longer than bending the frame!
Yep, not going to risk messing it up - it’s only the drive side that’s stuck. Not the end of the world if it stays stuck, I can still clean and re-grease it from the non-drive side opening.

Managed to give this a good old clean and polish. It’s come up pretty good as some predicted it would.
3E34FB34-6C9F-4306-AFB7-201DF98CBCA3.jpeg
Next decision is wheels; the original spikes are hella rusty. The hubs should be good after a service and the rims are very good (Araya’s). Do I just rob the spokes off these cyclocross wheels I have, or should I upgrade to the Tiagra hubs as well? Originality or modern 8-speed?
0DEE5453-4385-458F-B3CF-B26562900868.jpeg
The other thing is: I can’t find new hoods for the brake levers at sensible money.
I’m thinking I’ll either modernise the brake levers or go completely the other way and convert this to flat bars. Can’t decide, but I don’t generally ride road bikes so it’s tempting to make a retro flat bar hybrid type thing.. (I have heaps of retro mtb spares lying about.)
Any thoughts?

I think it all depends on what you intend to use the bike for and if you intend to keep it?

If you intend to keep it do you what you like to it to make it suit your purpose including making it a flat bar bike if that suits

If you intend to pass it on quite quickly keep it as original as possible.

Either way don't spend a lot on it as it will never be particularly desirable or worth much I am afraid (and I say that as a fan of "uncool" brands :) )

Using electrolysis to clean up the original 7 speed cassette, this had very little wear so I wanted to reuse it. Plus I’ve never tried the electrolysis before so this was a good excuse to give it a whirl.
I’ve decided to rebuild the original wheels, just waiting for replacement spokes to arrive and then I’ll crack on with that too.
CB1FF541-DFA8-4E0B-80A0-394FC7F42823.jpeg E34A8948-A446-4858-8E30-46CFE39D4610.jpeg

Managed to spend a couple of hours on this today. Just methodically working through the components cleaning and reassembling on to the frame. Tried on some Azonic bars that I have to give the flat bar conversion a try, it seems comfortable like this but I’m not 100% decided yet.
Once the spokes turn up I can rebuild the wheels and get this ready for a test ride, tyres are on order too..
F6557D3C-9124-48F8-976E-5FAACD38A6AF.jpeg 7FC6D060-3226-4AFB-AC7D-DC995B65ED38.jpeg

Nice work. I am interested in how you find the flat bar conversion. I have an early 80s touring bike that I picked up as a rusty bitsa that needs saving and I am considering doing it as a flat bar hybrid/gravel type thing!

Got the wheels built and bike is now completely built up apart from new brake blocks which should be here Friday..
So chuffed with this, only did a quick spin up the road (using my work boots to slow down!) so far, but riding position is nice and this is light and seems fast.
Clearance between base of fork crown and these 25/700c size tyres was a fag paper at best, but some careful ‘massaging’ with a half round file has given me 2-3mm now.
This has been a bit of a budget build for me - not intentionally really, but total spend is just under £100. That doesn’t include the bars, 3ttt stem, grips or brake levers - but I had them already. I normally only go for 80/90’s mountain bikes as projects but I’ve really enjoyed doing this road bike for a change.
Thanks @jimbo-xc for the Selle Italia saddle at £8, bargain! :)
Will update once I have some miles on it. 909A3422-4A2F-44C0-959E-333E6370A4F2.jpeg

0FB5C7E3-AB02-44DA-B2EE-2A85A1EC8594.jpeg
Update! Back to drops..
After doing a few miles on this with flat bars I decided to revert back to drops. I found some replacement brake levers and hoods in great condition on eBay at sensible money, the original levers were fine but the hoods had turned to a sticky filthy mess!
The riding position with the flat bars was nice but it’s hard to get used to downtube shifters when you’re sat upright.
Plus it just looks right with these bars and some white bar tape.
I have another (modern) road frame to build into a flat bar bike which should be seriously tasty!

Back