1987/8/9? Mountain Klein build thread

Shimano m 737 or m739 cranks will work w/ that spindle.
Thank you, I've spent the past few hours digging and have just about abandoned the dream of period correctness, I'll keep hunting either for something from the late 80's that will work or a longer spindle, but failing that I'll just do what has to be done to get the bike riding 👍

There are Mountain Klein's and some early Pinnacles out there with 113mm spindles, I just need to figure out which crankset will work with that, this is one area where my knowledge has huge gaps so any advice appreciated. Also if anyone has a 122.5 spindle kicking around though please let me know.

Re the DIY BB pulling tip, great shout but it will probably only cost a little more to get it done and will certainly reduce the time, effort and risk involved. I'll certainly look into it though. 👍
Do you know whether it is a JIS or ISO taper?

Since ActionTec do them no longer and Phil Wood and synlos (on here) are both out of stock, I just had these longer 17mm spindles in my bookmarks:

https://www.danscomp.com/answer-sli...17mm-122mm-bb-asp15ts22-bk/p1220822?v=1152950

They crop up from time to time as used items, but you´ll have to be patient, more so in the recent years.

Since ActionTec do them no longer and Phil Wood and synlos (on here) are both out of stock, I just had these longer 17mm spindles in my bookmarks:

https://www.danscomp.com/answer-sli...17mm-122mm-bb-asp15ts22-bk/p1220822?v=1152950

They crop up from time to time as used items, but you´ll have to be patient, more so in the recent years.
Cheers, they fit these 75mm shells without need for modification?
If so I may nab one.

I mean they look like the seating surface goes straight up until the taper, so I would guess so. TBH I never looked after casing width with these spindles, just overall length.

Thinking more about it, there is a small caveat: The Klein spindles are normally held in place just via press fit and when new, it´s a tight fit. The BMX one looks like it needs securing collars, that could be indicating that it´s not a 100% press fit and collars could interfere with a wider BB shell. No info on the Answer one in this regard. You could secure a "looser" fit with green loctite, which is specifically made for this case, but some are adverse to the use of glue so I thought I should mention it. For the Ti one I would even advise to use it regardless of how tight or loose the press fit is to prevent creaking/galling (ask me how I know).

I mean they look like the seating surface goes straight up until the taper, so I would guess so. TBH I never looked after casing width with these spindles, just overall length.

Thinking more about it, there is a small caveat: The Klein spindles are normally held in place just via press fit and when new, it´s a tight fit. The BMX one looks like it needs securing collars, that could be indicating that it´s not a 100% press fit and collars could interfere with a wider BB shell. No info on the Answer one in this regard. You could secure a "looser" fit with green loctite, which is specifically made for this case, but some are adverse to the use of glue so I thought I should mention it. For the Ti one I would even advise to use it regardless of how tight or loose the press fit is to prevent creaking/galling (ask me how I know).
I have managed to get my hands on a 125mm spindle, so problem solved.

Having spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks looking into solutions I never came across this particular option. The best solution I found involved sanding a 45 degree angle into the shell edges in order to accommodate a Mavic 616, although obviously risky that would have been the route I'd have taken if nothing else worked.

But now I have the right part on the way so it's a relief to be able to put that all aside. Now I can start thinking about prepping the frame for building :)

Nice, I know the trouble these BBs can make, from finding to fitting. But I kind of like the clean looks and once mounted correctly they never gave me trouble.

Nice, I know the trouble these BBs can make, from finding to fitting. But I kind of like the clean looks and once mounted correctly they never gave me trouble.
I agree, I have a similar BB set up on my 87 Fat Chance, although I have never had to remove or fit it, I like the minimalist look of it.

Another piece of the puzzle arrived this week... P8030120.JPG

Not sure if I'll polish or paint, or whether I'll try to source repro 'Mountain Klein' top tube decals, I'm not really a fan of the design and I'm leaning towards a more low key finish for this build. This decal will go on though, it's an original and is subtle.

Back