1986 Colnago Mexico - Finished

I maybe showing my ignorance here, (its not hard) but did some riders of that period ride with the brake cables behind the bars as you have it set up? I can see that it gives the cable a smoother line, but surely they would get in the rider's way?

Vimes

Captain Vimes":33em0w5w said:
I maybe showing my ignorance here, (its not hard) but did some riders of that period ride with the brake cables behind the bars as you have it set up? I can see that it gives the cable a smoother line, but surely they would get in the rider's way?

Vimes

Yes thats how it was done, only out the front for cables round the bars, normally for continentals and some of us old racers we wired up front brake left too, I did it that way as I had control of my front brake when signalling right, also the old campag brakes have a much smoother line that way.

Doubledee":1kpl3aqb said:
Captain Vimes":1kpl3aqb said:

Vimes

Yes thats how it was done, only out the front for cables round the bars, normally for continentals and some of us old racers we wired up front brake left too, I did it that way as I had control of my front brake when signalling right, also the old campag brakes have a much smoother line that way.

I researched this before putting the bike together, it's odd, you don't think about it as we're so used to Aero etc, well, I am. I looked at bikes with similar geometry and components and it seemed the natural line for the cables.

Back