1983 Peugeot VTT

I would welcome views on whether the mudguards and rack should be fitted, as I imagine they were part and parcel of the 1983 "vibe". Since hardly anyone knew what a mountain bike was then. "We must offer it with mudguards, since it will be going near mud"

I should probably spec it

Frame: Tange chromoly
Fork: Tange (or Ishiwata) chromoly
Headset: Tange 1"
Wheels: Araya rims, Suzue hubs
Bars: Nitto moose
Grips: O.G.K.
Brakes: Dia Compe 981 & Dia Compe levers, Ritchey pads
Chainset: Sugino triple
Shifters: Suntour 6 speed SL-4050
Front derailleur: Suntour AX
Rear derailleur: Suntour AR-GT
Tyres: no-name amber wall
Seatpost: no-name modern (sorry)
Saddle: Avocet Racing III
Chain: KMC
Bottom bracket: Fixed & moving cup with "seal"
Pedals: Beartrap

Last edited:
I was going to say it looks a bit naked without the guards and rack. If you can get the guards to fit properly then I think it would look great

By "popular" demand, here it is in full Adventure Spec. Can't guarantee the mudguards are period - but who has 1983 mudguards any more? And I know the rack isn't but it's nicer than the original which had horrid twisted steel brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_205313087.jpg
    IMG_20210715_205313087.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210715_205322062.jpg
    IMG_20210715_205322062.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 20
By "popular" demand, here it is in full Adventure Spec. Can't guarantee the mudguards are period - but who has 1983 mudguards any more? And I know the rack isn't but it's nicer than the original which had horrid twisted steel brackets.
Would look great with a matching front rack :).

It is finished, if anything is ever finished.

yes agreed! it’s looking great though, fantastic job on refreshing this one.

I think it looks fine “naked” for summer use, and also fine with the guards and rack fitted.
I agree with the above, a chrome front rack (maybe a small Porter style one) would look good also (and it’s what all the cool kids on Instagram seem to be doing with their retro steel mtbs 😁).

By the way I bought some similar tyres for me 80’s mtb, seemed to be the only type that looked right and would fit in the chainstays.

Thanks gents. If the cool kids on Instamyspace are doing it then I want no part of it!

Seriously though I did look for front racks briefly but I can't find a raw aluminium one like the rear one. If I see one I'll bag it.

Need some giant Ever-Ready bike lights now!

I've taken the plunge on some original Suntour Moun-Tech derailleurs which I'm hoping will cure my 'won't shift into granny ring' problem. If it doesn't I'll get a wider BB axle.

yes agreed! it’s looking great though, fantastic job on refreshing this one.

I think it looks fine “naked” for summer use, and also fine with the guards and rack fitted.
I agree with the above, a chrome front rack (maybe a small Porter style one) would look good also (and it’s what all the cool kids on Instagram seem to be doing with their retro steel mtbs 😁).

By the way I bought some similar tyres for me 80’s mtb, seemed to be the only type that looked right and would fit in the chainstays.
Jimo can you give me an example of a porter rack? I'm not certain what you mean.

Thanks, I know what you're getting at now. I like the one that uses canti mounts, a good idea and very neat. Unfortunately they're all quite spendy and I'd like one that matches the raw aluminium of the rear rack. One of those things I'll put on the long-term search and see if one pops up.

Back