1983 Escape Goat: Concord Blue Metallic

Here is a newly acquired 1983 Escape Goat I purchased from Derrick (Mr. Toad) on this forum. The serial number is: 031783; so the third 17 inch bicycle made in 1983.

The Escape is in original paint which is a deep metallic blue which I am guessing is their "Concord Blue Metallic" from the 83's order list.

I have decided to keep it mostly "as found" as the bike is pretty much stock; this is based on the 1983 Mountain Goat order list, with the exception of the saddle, tires, grips, and pedals.

The Vetta saddle is slightly later so I am going to go with an Ideale 90 Rebour which appears on another 1983 example on Mombat. These French saddles do not appear on the Goat's price list but the original cranks Lindsay used on these bikes are French; is it possible he or a retailer of Goats offered the Ideale as an upgrade? There are just too many out there with this saddle to be random chance.

Thank you for any insights or comments.

Brant IMG_7905.jpg IMG_7908.jpg IMG_7932.jpg IMG_7937.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the 1983 order list; it is interesting to see the kit prices for the upper level bikes and their "Inflation Fighter" parts. The dealer price for the the in-house built Mt. Goat bars was $95 vs. the mass produced Escape Goat bullmoose bars at $27 (MountainBikes fillet bullmoose, ref. 1982 Mombat: Escape Goat; on their retail price list the same bars are priced out at $135 vs $38.50; $96.50 price difference!

Attachments

• Goat83Price2.jpg
    Goat83Price2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 363
that's absolutely beautiful!
And those TA cranks! Love em!

More progress, after buying too many pedals as place holders the correct ones came my way. I also changed out the saddle for a period correct Avocet. I abandoned the original plan of using an Ideale 90 Rebour as the flat rail chassis would require a different seat post (it'll be put to use on a future build). A NOS pair, and a slightly used pair of Panaracer Magic Smokes came my way. I thought these would compliment the gold "Escape Goat" and head badge decals.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Back