1982 Breezer Series III (No. 32)

Repack Rider":v9o6jcjp said:
New information indicates some of the information, for the Series III bikes, above may be incorrect. Using the number of tube sets ordered by Joe, and the timing of the serial numbers, it appears as if the Series III bikes started with serial #26 and not serial #1. The highest known serial number is #49 (MOMBAT bike) so there may have only been 25 Series III Breezers as well.

Shouldn't be a mystery. Joe's numbering started with his Series II, 25 bikes. Series I wasn't serial numbered, i.e. numbered in sequence. Each Series I frame bore three numbers but they did not reflect the sequence of the bikes. Mine is called "Breezer #2" because it was his second after the one he built for himself.

The mystery was the amount of Series III bikes and how they were numbered, not the well documented Series I bikes.

Prior to this info, MOMBAT advertised that 60 Series III bikes existed (This was based off the number of tubes Joe originally ordered). We now know this is not true and the number is really closer to 25 if not 24.

It was up until recently that we realized that Series III numbers actually started with number 26 (not 1 as previously thought) and go to about 49. Joe never finished building all the tubesets he had ordered as his hite rite business started to take off.

Series I bikes as you know have 3 numbers and their numbering is more complicated:

The first number is the order the front triangle brazed.

The 2nd number is the order the rear stay was brazed.

The 3rd and final number is the order the laterals were brazed.

For example we have Otis Guy's Series I Breezer on display in our museum and it has the serial number 2.81.

2.81 = 2nd front triangle brazed, 8th rear stays brazed, and 1st laterals brazed.

Effectively, all of the Series I frames were built at the same time with pieces getting attached in different sequences. There are pictures of the bikes lined up ready to be nickel plated.

He took a similar approach to the Series II bikes. Everything was mitered at once and most of the frames were brazed in a batch. He would finish up a bike based off of when an order was placed.

Here is a photo of Otis's Serial Number for reference.

1978%20Breezer%20Series%201-23.jpg

I understand all that. I was just trying to point out that the Series III numbers started where the Series II ended, which is why they don't start at #1.

Repack Rider":1ylandd0 said:
I understand all that. I was just trying to point out that the Series III numbers started where the Series II ended, which is why they don't start at #1.

Ah, right on.

It's interesting info for everyone here to note nonetheless.

Hope you are well Charlie! Hope to cross paths soon.

Back