1977 Bob Jackson build FINISHED pics!

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Just bought a nice refurbed Bob Jackson off eBay last week. Now . . . i have a stack of Campag kit, but Campag is always the obvious answer when looking for period components. Thought I'd try going down the Shimano 600EX Arabesque line, since it would be 'about' the right period more-or-less.

However, there always someone on this forum who'll say 'lovely bike, but it's got the wrong kit on it'. So please tell me now, outside of Campag what's the best looking, best quality component set for a 1977 Bob Jackson racer.

Attachments

• eBay Bob Jackson frame 1.JPG
    eBay Bob Jackson frame 1.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,281
Re: 1977 Bob Jackson build suggestions

If it's 1977 then its smack in the middle of my era :D. Back then we put on what we could afford, hand me downs, and what we liked the look of. Unless you were rich then most club bikes were a mix of kit :)

I'd put on what you fancy from around the time :)

Shaun

I remember seeing this and what a beauty it is too.
A very nice buy. personally I would run whatever you like and whatever works for you.
Start a build thread, I'll be sure to keep looking.
Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

My Bob of that era had Shimano 'built for Durace' stickers on it. Despite wearing Campag dropouts.

Huret Jubilee.

and what a nice frame, i love that dark teal / petrol colour.

otherself":3yascnqw said:
Huret Jubilee.
and what a nice frame, i love that dark teal / petrol colour.

It's supposed to be British Racing Gteen I think. Resprayed at Bob Jacskon, but loOKs a lot darker to my eye. Although I like it just the same.

See, I look at that frame and I can't help but think Campag shiny bits… :oops: But then again, why fight the urge?

Okay, all finished now, although can't quite get the front mech and the correct chain line in sync - might need to be some tweaking. But won't change how it looks. I'm a sucker for stitched leather handlebars and found some green leather in a similar shade to the 'racing green' frame - although in the sunshine the frame looks almost black. The components are Shimano 600/Shimano 600 Arabesque with Cinelli Stem & bars and a Brooks saddle. A much tighter frame than I usually ride but it moves quick and should be useful on the hills.

Attachments

• Bob-Jackson-1.png
    Bob-Jackson-1.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Bob-Jackson-3.png
    Bob-Jackson-3.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Bob-Jackson-4.png
    Bob-Jackson-4.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Bob-Jackson-5.png
    Bob-Jackson-5.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,063
Very Nice!
Got a soft spot for the Arabesque stuff as I had it on an Falcon Majorca I bought new about 1983. Don't know how it got on there, might have been an LBS special build.

Back