1930s Selbach build

3wheeler7

rBotM Winner
Hi

Thought I'd start a (late) build thread for my 1930s Selbach which is finally taking shape after owning it for about a year.
A lot of other bike projects have been completed during the lockdown so I decided to put some effort into making this one a complete bike again.

Saw it at an autojumble, a rideable but roughly rebuilt mish-mash, I only wanted the nice Constrictor Asp rims it had for a 50s RRA restoration so I ended up buying the whole bike but had no plans to rebuild it until I read up on Selbachs and how good they were in their day and how few of them have survived.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of it prior to dismantling and repainting, it wasn't pretty or original but it had been authenticated as a Selbach fitted with Carpenter Russ style forks by V-CC members, the seller was also a V-CC member.
I don't know the year - probably somewhere in the 30s - and I don't know the model but it has track rear drop outs so could be a F.H.W. Path Model.
The 20” frame is light but strongly made using Chater Lea lugs/BB shell and fitted with a Bayliss Wiley oil bath cartridge unit. No apparent frame numbers.

I decided that trying to find totally original fittings would be a lost cause so went for a sympathetic rebuild hoping to make a fair representation of how it would have been - so it's building into a mix of period correct and slightly later components:-
Dunlop LA 26” x1 3/8” alloy rims laced (by me) to Sturmey Archer K5 3speed hub on the rear and NOS Bayliss Wiley “SuperClub” hub on the front. Plain gauge stainless spokes.
Oval badge Brooks saddle.
Genuine Lauterwasser bars and 30s clip stem.
BSA 5 pin chainset (BSA were one of the best around in the 30s and standard fit on Selbachs).
BSA cam centre pull brakes, same as Sunbeam ones but these are stamped with BSA 3 rifles.
Brampton B8 pedals.
Decals from H Lloyd.

I've got a few more bits still to fit:- Reynolds Elite chain, BSA brake levers and NOS cloth covered cables, Sturmey Archer K series 3 speed crossbar quadrant gear changer, cable and pulley wheel.
Waiting for the postie to deliver the new brake blocks and for the welder to repair the chain tensioners.

Take a look at the pics of the job so far, I'll update with some more pics as it progresses.
Any comments, knowledge and criticisms welcome!

Regards
Tony

Attachments

• sel1.jpg
    sel1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 912
  • sel2.jpg
    sel2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 908
  • sel3.jpg
    sel3.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 907
  • sel4.jpg
    sel4.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 912
  • sel5.jpg
    sel5.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 915
  • sel6.jpg
    sel6.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 914
  • sel7.jpg
    sel7.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 912
Re:

Hi, what a lovely restoration, that will look stunning. There should of been a serial number on the seat tube bit of the bottom bracket which would help date it, the fork would be the only question mark, but after 1935 all sorts of things happened due to the unfortunate death of Maurice, so it could be from this time, below is my 1928 Selbach ( probably had the Goldern Wyld paint judging from the nickel underneath ) which is largely original with the classic Selbach fork as a point of reference. Thanks Terry

Attachments

• small selbach 28.jpg
    small selbach 28.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 864
Re:

Thanks Terry, nice bike of yours - perhaps mine is earlier than I thought.

I agree with your point about the forks - if I find a pair I will fit them, but at least the Carpenter ones are period and well respected. I knew they were wrong when I bought the bike as the previous owner had fitted them but not reduced the length of the steerer tube so it had a 1" MTB spacer fitted! I borrowed a die and reduced it to a suitable length.
Ref the frame number, I couldn't see anything when I was stripping it except for Chater Lea cast into the BB shell. I'll have a closer look around the base of the seat tube lug.
As with all my rebuilds even when they're complete they are still subject to change as correct or more appropriate parts come to light, but I don't know much about 30s bikes (40s/50s RRAs are my thing) and there's not a lot of Selbach info about, although Graces Guide has some good catalogue pics.

Regards
Tony

3wheeler7":1ngzbe6r said:
Hi

Thought I'd start a (late) build thread for my 1930s Selbach which is finally taking shape after owning it for about a year.
A lot of other bike projects have been completed during the lockdown so I decided to put some effort into making this one a complete bike again.

Saw it at an autojumble, a rideable but roughly rebuilt mish-mash, I only wanted the nice Constrictor Asp rims it had for a 50s RRA restoration so I ended up buying the whole bike but had no plans to rebuild it until I read up on Selbachs and how good they were in their day and how few of them have survived.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of it prior to dismantling and repainting, it wasn't pretty or original but it had been authenticated as a Selbach fitted with Carpenter Russ style forks by V-CC members, the seller was also a V-CC member.
I don't know the year - probably somewhere in the 30s - and I don't know the model but it has track rear drop outs so could be a F.H.W. Path Model.
The 20” frame is light but strongly made using Chater Lea lugs/BB shell and fitted with a Bayliss Wiley oil bath cartridge unit. No apparent frame numbers.

I decided that trying to find totally original fittings would be a lost cause so went for a sympathetic rebuild hoping to make a fair representation of how it would have been - so it's building into a mix of period correct and slightly later components:-
Dunlop LA 26” x1 3/8” alloy rims laced (by me) to Sturmey Archer K5 3speed hub on the rear and NOS Bayliss Wiley “SuperClub” hub on the front. Plain gauge stainless spokes.
Oval badge Brooks saddle.
Genuine Lauterwasser bars and 30s clip stem.
BSA 5 pin chainset (BSA were one of the best around in the 30s and standard fit on Selbachs).
BSA cam centre pull brakes, same as Sunbeam ones but these are stamped with BSA 3 rifles.
Brampton B8 pedals.
Decals from H Lloyd.

I've got a few more bits still to fit:- Reynolds Elite chain, BSA brake levers and NOS cloth covered cables, Sturmey Archer K series 3 speed crossbar quadrant gear changer, cable and pulley wheel.
Waiting for the postie to deliver the new brake blocks and for the welder to repair the chain tensioners.

Take a look at the pics of the job so far, I'll update with some more pics as it progresses.
Any comments, knowledge and criticisms welcome!

Regards
Tony

Very nice, Any updates?

Re:

Hi

Yes, please see the pics attached.

Finishing it got delayed due to family problems I'm afraid, but it's complete now.

The BSA chainset has been substituted by a 30s Williams nickel finish one, brake cables fitted, K series gear change fitted, all working and rideable.
Smooth and solid to ride, slow handling due to fork rake but you soon get used to it. Could do with a bit more stopping power but the new old stock brake blocks are probably to blame for that and with a bit of use they may bed in.

Since my original posts I have found out the the forks are not Carpenter but are original 30s E F Russ ones. Still can't find a frame number to confirm the year of manufacture.

I don't think it's one I'm going to keep as it's a bit out of my chosen era but it's another nice, rare vintage bike saved for the future and someone will love it.
When I can determine its value I'll put it up for sale as I haven't the space to keep all my bikes.

Regards
Tony

Attachments

• DSCF5807.JPG
    DSCF5807.JPG
    549.1 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF5806.JPG
    DSCF5806.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF5804.JPG
    DSCF5804.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF5803.JPG
    DSCF5803.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF5802.JPG
    DSCF5802.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF5799.JPG
    DSCF5799.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCF5797.JPG
    DSCF5797.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCF5794.JPG
    DSCF5794.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 405
Re: Re:

OldTel":1fw008ne said:
Hi, what a lovely restoration, that will look stunning. There should of been a serial number on the seat tube bit of the bottom bracket which would help date it, the fork would be the only question mark, but after 1935 all sorts of things happened due to the unfortunate death of Maurice, so it could be from this time, below is my 1928 Selbach ( probably had the Goldern Wyld paint judging from the nickel underneath ) which is largely original with the classic Selbach fork as a point of reference. Thanks Terry

Terry, That is very nice also.

Thanks guys, I've got a pair of vintage Bluemels alloy Tour de France mudguards that might look good on it - I'll offer them up and see what I think, they'll need a lot of work to refurb them.

Regards
Tony

Back