🔥Kona Cinder Cone 1991 restore and disc conversion

Private_Repress

Old School Hero
Feeding the addiction, this was actually the first retro MTB I purchased. A late night eBay win after a few beers… sure we’ve all been there.

1AA9EB6E-CEAB-49C6-9E30-FA5859DC4D2B.jpeg

It came as pictured with all the cable mounts and brake mounts cut off, but the disc mount that had been braised in was the selling point for me.

I’ve finally got around to adding a brace: (well my mate did haha)

IMG_0929.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

We couldn’t find anything suitable to use as cable guides in his workshop, so I’m going to use some of the sticky ones.

The frame is currently at the powder coaters for a much needed lick of paint. The colour was difficult to match so I’ve gone for something a little different.

Results to follow over the next few days when I get to collect it :)

Frame and fork back from the powder coaters!

The colour I went for bizarrely looks very similar to the original metallic green colour, however this is actually called ‘racing bronze’. I’ll get some more pictures in day light tomorrow.

Considering this frame was in such a bad state when I got it, I’m really pleased with how it’s come out.

IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1358.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
6B69A992-CB36-4BAE-955B-2B9CA32DBE63.jpeg

Looks great so far, what's your plan for components?
Good question!

I’m thinking a a bit of a mix of old and modern components. Black components where I can. Wheels will likely to be hope pro4 hubs on hope enduro rims. Tan wall billy bonkers. Cranks I’m undecided on but have some black truvativ ones spare - running them 1x 9 or possibly 10. Brakes will either be Shimano XT or Avid BB7s. Bar and stem choice at the moment is a black BLB stem (60mm) with some high rise BLB bars. But as the build takes shape the bar and stem combo may need to change. The seat will be a selle italia flite of the same era as the frame.

That's looking good, love the disc conversion front and rear and the fact you've made it look original spec with the paint :)

Neo retro components will look ace on this. BB7's are mechanical though, so I guess XT will be your choice of brake

I'm curious about the fork and the length. Is this an original spec 390mm Project fork, or have you modified a later suspension fork?

I am thinking that the short stem and high rise bars could make everything feel a bit twitchy controls wise, but I'm possibly a bit biased as I'm personally not down with the 60mm stem and high rise. Not my bike though!

Good luck with the rest of the project 👍

That's looking good, love the disc conversion front and rear and the fact you've made it look original spec with the paint :)

Neo retro components will look ace on this. BB7's are mechanical though, so I guess XT will be your choice of brake

I'm curious about the fork and the length. Is this an original spec 390mm Project fork, or have you modified a later suspension fork?

I am thinking that the short stem and high rise bars could make everything feel a bit twitchy controls wise, but I'm possibly a bit biased as I'm personally not down with the 60mm stem and high rise. Not my bike though!

Good luck with the rest of the project 👍
Thank you, I’m happy it’s looking something like it did originally. A vast improvement to when I first got my hands on it.

The brakes is a funny one, I actually like the bite that the BB7s offer over the XT’s (I have an older model that I was contemplating using). I’m running both sets of brakes on other bikes at the moment - I actually prefer the BB7s, here’s a clip of me using them (also give you an idea of the silly things I like to try on mtbs, but also the confidence I have in the avids):

The XTs, after two decent length rides on new pads and rotors just don’t seem powerful enough to me, but I’ll keep riding them to give them more opportunity to bed in.

The forks are actually a later P2 with the disc mount only from factory. I’ll check the axel to crown length and report back. I believe they are longer than they should be for this era frame (maybe someone can confirm what it should be?), but that would help slacken the head angle and raise the bb slightly, which for me isn’t a bad thing.

I totally get that short stem and high bars it not for everyone, but in that vid I’m running the exact bar and stem I’d like to try on this, it feels exactly as I want it on the Alpinestars (that is however a larger frame with a slightly longer top tube). I’ve done a fair few long distance xc rides on the Alpinestars and it’s been great sitting in a more ‘upright’ position (no back pain). Failing that I have a Hope stem spare at 110mm or an 80mm black BLB stem to play about with to maybe offset the top tube length (I suspect the 80mm will be about right).

Bizarrely I do tend to like a twitchy set up, not uncontrollable, but something very ‘responsive’, I come from a trials bike/bmx background and steep head angles and short stems is something I’ve become quite used to, I like the direct feel. I find with reasonably wide bars I can keep the bike in check, even on hairy down hill sections.

Latest posts

Back