You can't polish a turd....

dyna-ti":3mztr9x9 said:
Rampage":3mztr9x9 said:
Cranks and hubs are prone to cracking, bit of a gamble.

Thats a bit harsh :?

These hubs are known for cracking, I've had loads here that have turned out to be cracked, often you can't see the cracks until you've stripped and polished them. One person the first two he bought that wee in good condition wee cracked.

OK to save an argument ill nod and say yes

Small flanges and riders thinking theyre on some sort of bomb proof set up :? That said they will survive most things ,as i have found in use.
I too have a couple of hope hubs and yes ive a box full of split and cracked flanges ive removed to use the ti centers for other things but used as intended they arent going to crack. Almost always a crack appears between 2 or more holes.
36h rear disc ti glide- on my clockwork from 1999-2004. A commuter and also a mountain bike. I was perfectly happy launching the bike off drops upto 3 feet urban onto concrete and stairs etc. nearly always a hard rear first landing.
Ti glide/Suspension disc 32h- Built from nos in 2008 and still on the go. Last year i didnt remove them for winter and so theyve been pretty well used. I use 185mm discs and ride quite fast so am usually hard of the brakes. Still no problems and i had the rear rebuild 4 months ago. (shop makes u do the relacing) Plus all the bearings so i got to check it very thoroughly .

Counter argument ;) Couldnt help myself :LOL:

If i run off and check the ten i have here and find no cracks or splits Will that convince you ? ;) (actually, ive already done it and guess what ?)

TBH the futility of turd polishing should really be highlighted on the sites homepage. Might save a lot of heartache.

FWIW, we used to see lots of the cranks come back, usually after they'd been repeatedly tightened, usually until the end of the axle was flush with the recess for the crank bolt!
Those that were tightened once and left used to manage just fine.
As for the hubs, my original ti glide did about 5 or 6 rebuilds, then crack when a mate borrowed my bike so his other half could do a triathlon. Took about 15 years to crack.

I've had record and d-a both go within 2 or 3 years. At least hope warranted it.

Back