Yo Eddy for the 21st Century- update: plans for phase two.

It certainly isn't for purists and against my normal leanings. But this frame was shot and now its been given a new lease of life. I would never do it to an original condition frame. Now I have a Yo that i can ride even in the worst winter weather all day long.

Thanks for your kind words people. ;)

Dr S":1o0rcz77 said:
It certainly isn't for purists and against my normal leanings. But this frame was shot and now its been given a new lease of life. I would never do it to an original condition frame. Now I have a Yo that i can ride even in the worst winter weather all day long.

Thanks for your kind words people. ;)

That sums it up for me, great way to keep an old frame alive, inspired to do a simialr build now, great work.

I measured the head angle today and with rider seated it's 69deg. By comparison my 87 Wicked is 70deg. So not as radical a change as you might think. Sure it's not as nervous and pin sharp as a std Yo in tight singletrack but my local stuff is all fast and flowing.

A little update..

Its been built up a few months now and has put in a good few miles. Enough for me to decide a few changes need to be made.

Geometry is fine, I like the 100mm travel so no issue there, but I do find the performance of the old SIDs to be poor compared to the frame.

So where do we go?

The main problem with SIDs is the lack of torsional rigidity so ideally i need a stiffer fork. I also want no weight penalty so other 100mm forks from that period are out.

Heres the plan.
I'm going to change the head tube. Cutting out the tube and fitting a 1 1/8" headtube will really open up my options. I'm also going to change the geometry by 2 degrees whilst I'm at it.

Forkwise i will then have two options.
I have a late NOS 1 1/8th Big One Inch fork which I have extended to 420mm A to C by the use of a custom machined dropout. I wanted disc mounts but was unsure of the thickness at the bottom of the leg so I had some custom lugged drop outs machined. The original drop out was removed and the lugs slipped over the end and brazed into place. This has increased the forks length by 10mm and also provides a good solid mount for the disc.
This fork was originally intended for my Indy Fab which I have now sold on. It just needs painting now.

Second and main option is a new suss fork. I have become a real fan of Magura forks over the last year and the 140mm Thor I use on the Cotic is brilliant now Magura have fixed it. So I'm going for a 2011 100mm Durin Race. Just a shade over 3 lbs but very stiff with great damping. It will also be colour matched to the frame.

Obviously I will need a new headset and stem. Im going for a shorter 80or 90mm Hope stem in red to replace the 100mm Ringle and another red Chris King will take care of the headset duties.

Other changes are wheels. I have red Hope hubs to build up and I'm looking at different rim options.

Its a great bike let down by an average fork. With the planned changes it should be fantastic.

Until I find time to do the changes though I'm going to continue using it at every opportunity. Heres a few pics from last weeks nightride.

weekendpics082.jpg

Yo1.jpg

weekendpics069-1.jpg

weekendpics065-1.jpg

weekendpics055.jpg

weekendpics063-1.jpg

weekendpics059.jpg

Good lord Si, they are some pretty serious changes! :shock: Sure it'll turn out well though. Guess it'll need a re-spray. You sticking with the same colour?

Contrasting fork colour? Tough choice though to find something that goes with the extreme green.

Dr S":cp4j69ss said:
I will be painting the fork to match the frame matey.

Excellent.

Much as I think I should dislike everything about that bike in terms of the fluoro paint and the green/red contrast I can't help but love the look of it.

One of the best looking bikes on here. And fantastic quality finish to everything on it.

Back