Yet another hardtail with daft wheels; Stanton Ti Switchback

Here are some more pics from my first ride out on it...

1EA49F90-E5AD-44D4-AA9D-54E031D5D9B6_zpsvmldn6ad.jpg

The Invisiframe kit gives the Ti a wicked finish...

2DBC131B-72E2-41B6-9802-26B796E5343D_zpsbfxte3bb.jpg

97113E5A-4FD6-41BD-8CDB-4AFCEC01F85D_zps0qwacsjd.jpg

30104D61-3CD7-4733-9F2F-DF6C4A400A52_zpsppblo6f1.jpg

And just to prove it was actually ridden...

5938B009-E49F-461D-B10F-8CA0B25E73EF_zps7ikddnj4.jpg

How does it feel compared to the steel one? Totally different. If I'm honest I was expecting it to feel the same or at least, very very similar given that most of the parts are the same.

It is quite a bit lighter (I'd hardly call the steel one a porker either) and rides a fair bit lighter too. In terms of feel, it does dampen put a lot of the trail chatter that a hardtail transmits. I'd describe it as being the weight of an aluminium frame with the feel, spring and zip of a high end, old school steel frame.

Now is it three times the bike that the steel one was? Nope. It definitely feels like a higher end frame (the super diddy, tidy welds are gorgeous) but it's not three times the fun. I guess when you get to this price point you're firmly into the realm of diminishing returns. This may sound like I'm not happy, when actually it's the opposite. I'm just trying to look at it objectively...it's a huge amount of money to spend on a hardtail. I'm really pleased that I've got the opportunity to own and ride a Ti frame. I wouldn't have felt short changed if I'd kept the steel one that's for sure but this is a heart over head bike for sure.

Yes, I've always gone the secondhand Ti route myself as depending on the frame the price difference between it and other materials are less, and the depreciation can be huge.

But the ride feel is quite something - and you describe it well. It's hard to go back to aluminum in particular afterwards. There can also be quite a difference between titanium frames - some are relatively dead feeling but do a good job of soaking things up, others lively and seem like they just want to play.

Sounds like you have a good 'un there.

greencat":2fqpev8f said:
Yes, I've always gone the secondhand Ti route myself as depending on the frame the price difference between it and other materials are less, and the depreciation can be huge.

But the ride feel is quite something - and you describe it well. It's hard to go back to aluminum in particular afterwards. There can also be quite a difference between titanium frames - some are relatively dead feeling but do a good job of soaking things up, others lively and seem like they just want to play.

Sounds like you have a good 'un there.

I think so too. Dan Stanton is pretty keen on titanium so I don't think he'd sell a substandard frame really.

This is destined to be a keeper. I think I'd get a proper hammering trying to sell it on because people don't want posh hardtails.

Not sure I could go back to ali after this and a few years of steel.

Re: Re:

stevet1":6m5mtfuy said:
They felt too flat. Felt I was relying on the pins for grip rather that being able to mould my foot around them. After these I tried Canfield crampons which are slightly convex, they felt better, able to wrap my feet around them. Now back on more conventionally shaped DMR V12's which have a nice amount of concave feeling to them. If I'd have got on with the Spanks I'd have loved to keep them though the ground clearance etc is excellent.

I don't really notice the flat feeling of them. I like the sized too. I've not got massive feet (UK9) but the extra platform makes it easy to find a pedal etc.

Not sure I could go back to ali after this and a few years of steel.
And that is the problem with Ti frames, it's difficult to go back to anything else :LOL: . I loved my Evil Sovereign, best handling steel frame I've ever ridden but I couldn't get the weight down for it to feel playful enough for me - which is the point of a hardtail otherwise I may as well be riding a full sus.

This is destined to be a keeper. I think I'd get a proper hammering trying to sell it on because people don't want posh hardtails.
I daren't even consider selling my 26" version, I'd cry at the offers I would get.

Back