XTR - Old vs New

M950 groupset still looks modern, being a late '96 groupset, that's quite a feat. I'm sure most parts of it are easily comparable to recent top-end stuff, and aside from the sensitive grey surface coating, still beats them on terms on durability & sexyness :facepalm: :twisted: ! And with a 5-arm chainset, weirdness is almost fully eliminated too.

M900, while classy looking, looks & feels as diet M730 stuff, in most cases durability went downhill while the prices have risen very dramatically compared the same parts to each other from the two goupset back in the days. I always really fancied the steel-tubed M900 seatpost though, and it took about 5 years to get a scratched 27.2 mm one for not too silly monies :facepalm: :xmas-cool:

Recent XTR: no, thanks, cyberpunk is not my genre of choice :roll: :LOL:

66 triumph daytona":3v587eb7 said:
I think M950 was exceptional and blew all other groups out of the water.After that the difference between groups wasnt as dramatic.

The finish on every m900 part is sublime, everlasting, classic. M950 stealth grey or whatever that is turns to shyte once you rub your shoes againts the crankset for a few months. Btw good luck finding replacement chainrings! V brakes are strong but so are cantis when properly done. Those 950 v brakes w/ linkages? Rattle city. Octalink BBs didn´t last long did they? M900 rapid fire levers w/ slr... perfect ergonomics.
M900 is the last classic made to last shimano groupset. Everything after m900 is disposable ugly stuff you try hard to like because it works... untill it doesn´t and there are no replacement parts.

Prodigal Son":3ji9rq9y said:
66 triumph daytona":3ji9rq9y said:
I think M950 was exceptional and blew all other groups out of the water.After that the difference between groups wasnt as dramatic.

The finish on every m900 part is sublime, everlasting, classic. M950 stealth grey or whatever that is turns to shyte once you rub your shoes againts the crankset for a few months. Btw good luck finding replacement chainrings! V brakes are strong but so are cantis when properly done. Those 950 v brakes w/ linkages? Rattle city. Octalink BBs didn´t last long did they? M900 rapid fire levers w/ slr... perfect ergonomics.
M900 is the last classic made to last shimano groupset. Everything after m900 is disposable ugly stuff you try hard to like because it works... untill it doesn´t and there are no replacement parts.
I like M950.Im really sorry. :roll:

Prodigal Son":2jv69m8c said:
The finish on every m900 part is sublime, everlasting, classic.

I like m900, but I would disagree with that. My experience, which admittedly is just a small sample not proper evidence, is that the cranks are more susceptible to corrosion than some of the cranks from other Shimano groups of the era. The set of cranks I still have will need refinishing, though I am waiting until they have a specific project to go on before going ahead with that.

kingoffootball":2mh107pe said:
Prodigal Son":2mh107pe said:
The finish on every m900 part is sublime, everlasting, classic.

I like m900, but I would disagree with that. My experience, which admittedly is just a small sample not proper evidence, is that the cranks are more susceptible to corrosion than some of the cranks from other Shimano groups of the era. The set of cranks I still have will need refinishing, though I am waiting until they have a specific project to go on before going ahead with that.

Really? That´s a first.... every one i´ve seen has a lovely shine and not a single spot of corrosion.
The rear derrailleur; the hubs. Shimano didn´t reinvent anything w/ m900 like they did w/ octalink.. they just made jewellery out of classic cycling tech in the ways of campagnolo record.

I'll take a photo of my set, but they haven't been that badly treated and I have seen others that people have had to refinish. I still like them and they are worth the effort.

Re:

M900 has the looks for sure, but M950 was a major boost in performance. Build for racing means not build to last. V brakes were a huge step forward. M900 shifters/levers, well... they look great and fit nicely, but aren’t good in shifting accuracy. M950 is rock solid shifting.

Back