Wanted XTR BR-M970 V-brakes

Nooooo, please stop offering me XTR stuff. I would like to make it all match up but I'm sticking with the XT stuff I have for now. Its an XT crank on it as sourcing chainring replacements for the XTR one look like an issue and I want to be able to throw this bike around a bit without worrying about sourcing NOS.

I was into the ones with the kool stop holders but does one of the brakes have a gouge out the side? Its in the fourth picture, furthest left brake. Maybe its worse than it looks?

I hadn't spotted that, I'll take a look, but that' particular brake isn't with the kool stops.

On the topic of xtr cranks and rings, they are a standard 104 BCD so any rings will fit. The only issue is that the xtr rings are sculpted to fit the profile of the spider, standard rings don't, but it doesn't look too bad. I've actually got a set of m970 specific middleburn rings which do fit like the OEM, plus I've also had made a few sets of outer ring blanks that fit the spider profile and allow you to run just a middle and inner or go 1x and still look good.

Thanks for the advice about the chainrings. I was aware that the XTR cranks had a different profile and unsure how well other chainrings might fit in terms of spacing between chainrings so I didn't want to conduct a possibly flawed expensive experiment. Still, I'll keep my thoughts away from yet another purchase.

I thought the KOOL stop pad holders were black and it looks like the photo I described has black pad holders.

The m970 pad holders are a black grey and silver, much like the arms. I only grabbed a couple of pics of them, they also still have the pads oriented to hit a rim, not flat packed to make boxi g away easier like the other set.

Ah okay, I think I confused matters by how I worded my last message. The brakes with the pad holders orientated to the rim were the ones I was interested in as the other set looked like they had a small gouge out of them.

If you could be bothered could you send me an additional photo of the kool stop pad laden brakes please? Just so I can see the condition as the first set were already well documented by the photos provided. Are you firm at £120? Just that I've seen folk sell single sets of these recently on here for £50. Could meet you half way at £110? I appreciate this is a full set of course with all the appropriate odds and ends.

I can't possibly be persuaded to buy any more XTR bling (though I want to) as I've had to buy a new rear mech, cassette and chain for my road bike today but I may call on you in the future if you don't sell the rest of your M970 haul in the interim.

Of course I can be bothered to grab some extra pics, I wouldn't want anyone to be buying blind. Some fresh pics below.

You clearly are eagle eyed, there was a small scuff I hadn't spotted on the other set, it's slight but weird, as I had the m950 carbon boosters fitted on the sts which these brakes came off, so can't fathom how that could have happened at all. I genuinely fitted them as no's, out of the box, and only rode the bike round my local park a couple of times, and took it to work on the train once as I intended to ride home. Had a nightmare day, ended 7p getting the lady train home, so didn't actually ride it aside from a few mins each way to the station. It was a memorable day for many reasons, none good.

Attachments

• PSX_20231108_233913.jpg
    PSX_20231108_233913.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PSX_20231108_233939.jpg
    PSX_20231108_233939.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PSX_20231108_233957.jpg
    PSX_20231108_233957.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20231108_234019.jpg
    PSX_20231108_234019.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20231108_234040.jpg
    PSX_20231108_234040.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for providing more pictures mate.

I know I don't need to but I apologise for being the one to highlight the scuff in those brakes and making you relive what sounds like a shitty day. Some rides/days are cursed and its always painful when parts get marred especially if you hadn't been riding it hard.

I recall last year cycling at a snails pace in the park on my bike and suddenly falling sideways, of course on to the drive side and giving my new rear mech a dirty great scratch on it. I was too busy checking the damage to feel embarrassed or in pain.

I'll be happy to take those brakes in the last pictures (the ones without the scuff) from what I can see. I don't know if you're game for my attempts at bartering but they're there!

I'm rubbish at haggling but factoring in postage and insurance it will need to be £120 all in.

Hiya,

Aye no worries. Well we haggled in a fashion and I don't mind paying £120.
Just send us your details please and I'll get the money over to you.
Cheers.

Back