WTF? Cracking Ti frame.

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
I was going to put in a cheeky £20 bid to get this for my kids, drill a stop hole & wrap some CF around the headtube, but the price jumped to over £100 delivered already, and there's 4 days to go.

WTF?! For a cracked frame? I think the look of brushed ti surfaces just messes with people's brains...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
😍 Titanium😍 garden gate mind you.

Maybe somebody knows something we don't... Golden treasure hidden in them tubes?

Ride around the block - I do think this is easily repairable for light use. If I saw one at the side of the road, I'd stop to pick it up, maybe even pay a couple tenners for one.
Build up a 1.5-2mm thick ring of cf around the top cup and you're good to go imho.

But if you forger for a moment that it's😍 Titanium😍 then it really belongs at a metal recycling centre.

Good point - it's 53cm ett, not 48 (that's ST)
But if you hybridise it and run flat bars with a short stem instead of 13cm stem and drops, you get a bike that fits a much shorter rider.

No idea about welding - good luck finding anyone who can weld ti. A carbon fibre ring should keep this in place I would have thought.
A jubilee clip would probably be just as good tbh... 😂

I have no metallurgy knowledge of welding experience (I can solder some electrical components onto a pcb🤪) but I'd think that a weld or its edges will be the weakest point that might fail again? I.e. It won't be stronger than the original tube [that failed already]?

If you sleeve the tube in a self-sufficient cf ring, it shouldn't fail unless the cf ring fails. And I don't see why it would, given the number of people riding plastic-fantastic framesets. So rough up the surface, stick a pilot into the tube, clamp (or jubilee clip - strictly no gaffer tape!) the tube from the outside and wrap some cf tow to make a sleeve around it. Wait for it to cure. Can even polish this turd and cover with some lacquer to make it look a bit better. Don't forget to remove the clamp.

Welding or sleeving, the head tube will look fugly and it will be a "broken" frame, so I'm surprised to see people willing to pay over £100 for frame alone.

Usual caveats: It's your teeth, don't do this at home without responsible adult supervision, etc.

Back